We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Evesham PC Crashes

tonyq

Likes # 0

My Evesham PC Win XP SP3 with 512mb memory, which is about 9/10 years old as started to crash,with various error reports (blue screen). Please see below.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/anthonyq/WinXPError.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/anthonyq/CrashError.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/anthonyq/CrashError3.jpg

I know that by today’s standards 512mb of memory is very low, but the computer as been doing what I wanted, all be it a tad slow, until the past week when the crashes started.

Or is it trying to tell me it’s time to be replaced?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried starting in safe mode to see if it starts.Then last good configuration or system restore.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

I can restart the PC again O.K.and have tried the last good configuration in safe mode which did not solve the problem. I will see how far back I can go with system restore,would I be better doing this in safe mode?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd save any important data, stick another 512 in and do a fresh install (Evesham used to provide reinstall disks).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Definition: STOP 0x00000024, 0X0000024, 0X24 or NTFSFILESYSTEM

Applies to: Windows XP.

This stop error means that your ntfs file system is corrupt (damage in the file system, bad hard drive data, corrupt SCSI or IDE drivers or a corrupt ntfs.sys file).

d1 and 8e are driver problems

I suggest you do a disk scan for errors and possibly a memory check for errors

Memory Test MemTest - here Tutorial: How to use Memtest - here Windows Memory Test - here

Like this post
kalignorgna

Likes # 0

run a checkdsik start>Run>chkdsk c: /r

if the problem persits then the windows OS needs repairing via the supplyed backup disk (affter backing up your files to prevent loss altough a repair should not effect programs and documents its always a good idea to back up before runing a repair)

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Hi all, I have run a memory test which found no errors,I then did system restore to the 17th May in safe mode. Upon restart I got the following on screen.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/anthonyq/ErrorReportafterSystemRestore.jpg

I will run chkdsk c: /r Then Repair Win Xp,unless there are any other things to check before I proceed with the repair.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

ATI graphics card? if so update the uninstall the drivers in safe mode rebbot to normal mode if its ok then update the drivers.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\ the ATI Radeon9600 series is installed, which I presume is a graphics card. Sorry but not sure what you mean by "if so update the uninstall the drivers in safe mode rebbot to normal mode if its ok then update the drivers."

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

try updating the graphics drivers in device managersee here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

My guess is its got faults on the Hard Drive, it needs scanning and fixing. If its bad, a New disc may be the answer as they are dirt cheap now.

PS before fixing a new Drive you would be better making a Image of the Old one if you do not have a oem XP CD as a Restore CD will not load the OS onto a new Drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert