We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Failed Vista Home SP2 Upgrade

valbv

Likes # 0

My laptop states I am running Vista SP1. My list of Windows Updates contain several references to succesful updates for SP2 beginning with (KB948465) succesful on 30.05.2010. Further updates headed as 'Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows Vista SP2 and Windows server 2008 x86 succesful on 03.12.2010. On 2004011 I received a security update for .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 on Windows Vista SP1 and windows server 2008 x86 (KB2449741)which installed successfully. Why back to SP1? Yesterday I downloaded the Vista Service Pack 2 update (KB948465). After the program completed the 3 stages of installation the screen stayed dark with the hard drive ticking away now and then. After 30 mins with no screen detals I was forced to shutdown using the on/off button. Restarting displayed the clock and calendar on the right of screen , no program pics on the left side, and screen colour bright and rather white. Clicking on the START logo in the task bar would not display the usual panel of options and programs, and said it couldn't find Microsoft! Restarting in SAFE mode wouldn't let me examine very much. So the laptop said its on SP1, the updates suggest SP2 is on board, reloading SP2 fouls up the system. Now I have restored to point before downloading SP2, ie back on SP1 where everything is fine. I previously raised this problem in December but though lots of good help given nothing solved the problem. I would not like to loose everything on the C drive if possible. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Like this post
valbv

Likes # 0

Many thanks for suggestion 124. I did try this and did manage to download and update to SP2. However, on starting up again several things happened. Within a minute or so of start up my remote mouse stopped functioning, but the laptop touchpad continued to work. then the Internet failed and the whole system seemed to lock down such that I had to force a shutdown. I did several Restarts but produced the same effect. I did a safe start and restored back to SP1 where all is working. If no other solution comes along then I can live without future updates. Maybe this is another reason for moving away from Vista. Thank you anyway, it was worth a try. Regards, valbv.

Like this post
valbv

Likes # 0

Many thanks for suggestion 124. I did try this and did manage to download and update to SP2. However, on starting up again several things happened. Within a minute or so of start up my remote mouse stopped functioning, but the laptop touchpad continued to work. then the Internet failed and the whole system seemed to lock down such that I had to force a shutdown. I did several Restarts but produced the same effect. I did a safe start and restored back to SP1 where all is working. If no other solution comes along then I can live without future updates. Maybe this is another reason for moving away from Vista. Thank you anyway, it was worth a try. Regards, valbv.

Like this post
valbv

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data