We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unidentified program

kingussie

Likes # 0

Every afternoon at 3 pm a program appears to start up scanning my computer. I have Macaffee but it is not that. On checking Activity monitor nothing shows up but I can hear this scan churning away and everything then slows up and I have problems doing anything during this time. It last for about an hour. Ops is windows XP

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

See what settings you have for automatic scans on McAfee and any other anti-malware software installed.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager and go to processes.And under CPU it should tell you what program is using up the CPU.

if nothing running System Idle process should be showing about 96% and that is normal.

Anything else using up a large % of the CPU let us know what.

Like this post
kingussie

Likes # 0

Thanks Buteman......Scan finished before your comment and everything is normal at the moment System idle is 96% and CPU is minimal. Will wait until tomorrow and try again when it starts up

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not unless you have just installed McAfee and maybe not uninstaled the previous anti virus properly.

Or if you have An Anti-malware program installed check that that does not run a scan at a certain time.

If not that let us know if it finds anything tomorrow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...