We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

computer to TV via wifi?

hughsturrock

Likes # 0

Hi,

I often want to view my computer screen on the TV, for watching films, connecting to the internet etc. At the moment, I plug my laptop (PC - windows XP) into my TV using a VGA cable and use speakers for the sound. I would really like to have exactly the same functionality, but connect the laptop and TV wirelessly. If this could be done through the wifi that would be brilliant (i.e. I don't want to have to keep unplugging and plugging in new USB devices).

Does anyone know of any device that can do what I want?? Things like apple TV seem a bit rubbish in that you can only access certain websites and certain files. I just want to be able to have my laptop in one room and see (and hear) everything through the TV. I've got an app for the iphone which allows me to use the mouse and keyboard via wifi, so could control everything from the sofa..

Thanks a lot!!Hugh

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Read here

kit here

Like this post
hughsturrock

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I've seen that device, but it doesn't work through walls apparently. Plus, you have to plug in an additional usb device into your computer. Isn't it possible to stream stuff from your computer over wifi without having to plug anything into the computer?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
hughsturrock

Likes # 0

Thanks, but this isn't really what I'm looking for. All these devices seem to limit which websites you can visit and which files you can play. All I want to do is to be able to see my computer screen on the TV wirelessly (through walls)....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added