We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCA website improvements awaiting a fix.

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 1

I have previously slipped these questions in other threads without getting an answer. Hopefully if I create my own topic something may come of it.

1. What is the point of having 4 pieces of hyperlinked text per thread ? See example screenshot.

Logically, (in the linked screenshot) in the Practice Your Links thread, "Yesterday by Nontek" should be all one link and take you to the last post in that thread. All the links in that column should follow the same format.

However, all links go to P.1 of the thread (except the OP link). If that is the intention, it's bad design / unnecessary coding imho.

1. Why are Answers, Views and Last Response (almost always) n/a on the My Posts page? See example screenshot 2

On one of the rare occasions there is something other than n/a, for example, the n47. link takes me back to page one of "My Posts", and the date / time (although coloured blue) is not a link

Additional grumps

My Posts is now a tiresome trawl to get through. With only 10 threads per page, some duplicated if it's a busy thread, you could be looking for a thread for weeks!

The current search facility is abysmal. OK, it (probably?) finds everything, but finding the particular thread you are looking for is a nightmare.

Filtering by Last Week (2) Last Month (6) Last 6 Months (25) Last Year (62) All Time doesn't particularly help, especially if the thread you are looking for is 6 weeks ago, as the threads are listed in no particular order. And with only 15 threads per search page, this is another area you could get lost in for weeks!

The Search facility needs a user sort button (Date ascending/descending) =or= needs to be sorted by default.

For example, searching for my own thread "PCA Site going down for Maintenance" - it's actually on page 7 of my posts dated 8th April but it took me about 10 minutes to find it. I gave up looking through the Search results and went back through my posts. Not knowing the date of it, I had to search through every page.

It's now 8 weeks after the update and the site speed issue appears to have been resolved but these silly things that don't work are niggling me. The fact that they still don't work but the advertising has been fixed is even nigglier (if there is such a word). LoL

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's a good screenshot tutorial Jwarn :)

You may wish to add an extra bit that pops up when you hover over the link like this

this is what you put in the link box http://pcahyberlink.weebly.com/ "made by Jwarn" or you can add it afterwards in the compose 'Reply to this topic' box

darn it you spelt hyperlink wrong - can you change it?)

If I may make a few suggestions (I feel I know you on here well enough to do so) You still need to work on your spelling :) can you do a few corrections and then it will be brilliant and I think it's going to be viewed by a lot of forum members as it is so clear. (you may even get a mention from FE)

How To Add Hyberlink to text in PC Advisor Forums Editer By Jwarn (I would drop the Editer as not needed)

change to How To Add Hyperlink to text in PC Advisor Forums By Jwarn

To Add Hyberlinks in PC Advisor Forums Editer

change to To Add Hyperlinks in PC Advisor Forums

And Your Done. Click Post When You Have Finished.

change to And You're Done. Click Post When You Have Finished.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Next is to get the creases out of the Pants yep, there's a few wrinkles to iron out before site runs smoothly.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Will do when I am on my Mac later. FE, if you ever want to change something in that tutorial, I will add you as a editor.

What is annoying at the moment is that on my Mac when I am writing a post, when I right click on words that are mis-spelt, Safari keeps thinking that it is flash content so I have no options from the dictionary. Unlike with iOS, it automatically corrects for most things.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I think we're getting there so I will mark this resolved.

Like this post  
natdoor

Likes # 0

Some changes appear to have been made recently, for example the list of forums has been modified. There is still no date of the OP on the list of posts, however. Is that ever going to be added?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Simon Jary he say : " . . . and will look at anything else still outstanding if you point it out here."

It's in the My Posts thread - last posting on page one.

Might be worth a try repeating yourself there, although it doesn't look like it's on the cards on the current layout.

However, you get a date in the results of a search, so perhaps it's not totally out of the question.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Oh My Days!! The My Posts is Brilliant now compared to before!

PCA! Give yourselfs a pat on the back!!!

Well that is the last little bit of my complaining seeing that they have sorted out the main annoyance for me.

Just one thing that needs doing, is updating the Mobile site as it is so annoying that I cannot just contribute in threads with ease on my iPod.

Please, Please do it.

Anyway, enough of that.

CYA!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...