We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bad Pool Caller Blue Screen Windows XP

Likes # 0

Thanks for taking your time to read this , I appreciate it.

It all started off this morning when I've turned my pc on. It started making a loud, weird buzzing noise which I have never heard it doing before. I tried finding out where the sound was comming from and it appeared to be comming from the area of the hard drive. In the meantime when I was checking the sound out the computer has turned itself on and was fine.

I was then a bit unsure of what the sound is and what it might do so I've turned the computer off. When I came back after 20 min or so I have turned it on and the buzzing sound was gone. The computer booted up normally and went along fine till the 'Welcome' screen apeared e.g. the moment when your cursor appears on the screen. At that point the system restarts itself and I get the BAD POOL CALLER blue screen.

The blue screen comes with a code at the bottom: *STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xD11B2000 , 0x00000000 , 0x00000000

I get this blue screen every time I turn the computer on and every time at the same stage of booting up.

I have tried using safe mode which simply fails at the same time, the same goes for the last good known config. I have read up a bit on the problem on the internet but in most cases the people could at least get on in safe mode which I cannot do.

I do have the original XP install disc if that is any use, I have tried booting up from the CD but I had no idea which thing to choose so I left it in case I'd mess something up.

All help and advice would be greatly appreciated, excuse my spelling this crude laptop doesn't have spellcheck installed.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Check all hardware and connections-may be loose, also pull out RAM and gently clean contacts.

Download and install/run this blue screen View this will give more info on the BSOD's.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It started making a loud, weird buzzing noise

sounds like the hard drive may be failing, however bad pool caller is often a device driver problem.

a repair install might help and certainly will not do any harm.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

PS, just noticed your forum name is,I assume your email address, I would change that if I were you.Click on 'My Profile' and change your user name.

'a repair install might help and certainly will not do any harm' I have found that it causes more problems than it solves.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

'a repair install might help and certainly will not do any harm' I have found that it causes more problems than it solves.

There's no bigger problem that not being able to boot into windows at all :0)

Like this post
LMedza

Likes # 0

Right, thanks for all of the advice however things don't seem to be getting any better - quite the opposite.

I did the repair install as instructed step by step, everything was going fine, I did the regional language setting and entered the serial code and then when it was about 75% done... another blue screen with the same message but this time the second vlaue in the bracket was 0xCDEF2000.

This probably wouldn't be as bad if not the fact every time I turn the computer on it attempts to resume the repair installation which I have tried to do 3 times up to now and every time I ended up with the same blue screen.

I have also opened up the pc base and carefully cleaned out the RAM and made sure that all of the cables on the inside are well attached and not hanging loose, likewie when I've connected all of the cables back into the pc I made sure that they are all fitting snugly and securely.

As for now I am clueless on what to do, again all ideas are appreciated.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The cleaning and checking connections should have been done first. Did you download and run Bluescreen view?

If you have a hardware fault then a repair install is not going to help in the slightest.

If you have spare harddrive, you could try installing Windows on to that then if successful copying your files from the old drive.

If you are not successful then it maybe a RAM problem, but it would have been useful to have had a bit more information that Bluescreen view could have given.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove one of the memory sticks and retry

If still same swap over the memory sticks and retry.

Like this post
LMedza

Likes # 0

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions up to now, but yet still I have spent the last 2 hours taking out the invidual RAM sticks, running the the repair install and seeing the same blue screen every time. I have tried taking them out and swapping them around - every time I got the same Bad Pool Caller blue screen.

I have downloaded the blue screen view program but I am unsure on how to use it since I have to run an .exe file which I can't because the system won't let me log on. If theres another way to do it I would be very greatful if someone could shed some more light on it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have a Read of this Link

link

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you look for how to repair this you get the following answers:

Hardware problem - RAM - Corrupt hard drive

Bad drivers

Corrupt registry

Fixes

Test / replace memory - Done (by swapping around)

renew drivers - usually done if you can get into safe mode

Corrupt registry - clean the registry as above

As you cannot get into safe mode all you could do is run a repair install to fix the above

So now its looking like a bad hard drive (loud weird buzzing noise and won't repair install)

Can you attach the drive to another machine to retrieve your files? Or boot from a Linux live CD to copy the files to a USB stick / external drive.

Then its looking like a replacement drive. Luckily you have the XP Cd to reinstall.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...