We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

graphics card dead or alive?

fishmeister

Likes # 0

Hi,

Started having issies with my pc this week and I am hopeing someone can point me in the right direction before I blow any money.

When watching videos the screen freezes, only way to exit is to boot the pc But it then come back with a blue screen and a load of message (sorry didn't read them). Then says I have had an issue (black screen) and to restart pc Restart takes place and goes back to step above.

To get out of this cycle I press F8 at restart and do rollback to a couple of weeks ago and all is fine, untill I view a video and the back to freeze screen lol.

So a few questions I am looking for help with please.

1, I guess the graphics card has died?, how do I check this before I buy a new one. 2, If I buy the same card GeForce 8300GS can I simply switch then and carry on. 3, will my PC only be compatible with certain cards? 4, will I have to do a full systyem restore following instalation (backing up files now lol) 5, any other things you can think of that may be the problem or may caus me issues.

Any help greatly appreciated (pc is a dell inspiron 530)

Cheers Paul.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Have you tried reloading the latest card driver?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

We really need the code number from the Blue screen of death 0x000.... this will tell us where to start looking for the problem.

I suspect graphics card or drivers and or possibly memory (RAM)

1. Operating system
  2. How much free space is available on your system hard drive?
  3. Update graphics drivers and retry
  4. Download burn to CD and Run memtest to check your RAM
Like this post
fishmeister

Likes # 0

No, just assumed it would be busted.

Will give that a go, googling as we speak, cheers

Like this post
fishmeister

Likes # 0

just checked card on h/w mgmt

disabled/enabled and checked driver for updates, it says all is good to go.

space is good, 68gb of 222 available on 1st drive 232gb of 232 available on 2nd drive

memtest (on to it now)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Manual ClickHere Use the Dell Diagnostics to check if anything shows there amiss.

1. Turn on (or restart) your computer.

2. When the DELLâ„¢ logo appears, press F12 immediately. (keep tapping F12 or you might miss it, if you do then let it boot to desktop and then reboot and try again) Select Boot to Utility Partition from the boot menu and press Enter. (If you see a message stating that no diagnostics utility partition has been found, run the Dell Diagnostics from the Drivers and Utilities CD media.)

3. Press any key to start the Dell Diagnostics from the diagnostics utility partition on your hard drive

Like this post
fishmeister

Likes # 0

Cheers will also try the f12 diags, just witing for backup of user profiles to complete just in case system restore is needed.

will keep you all posted, thansk again to you all appreciated

Like this post
fishmeister

Likes # 0

ok, ran all tests and everything came back good?

so opened up the side of the pc and removed the graphics card, blew on it to remove 3 1/2 years of dust, put it back and everyting appears to be working now.

maybe I have a future in the PC repair business lol, fingers crossed.

but just incase things fall apart again in the next day or so, I guess that I can replace like for like cards withou the need for system restores?

Thanks guys.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

We all forgot the obvious - overheating under load because choked with dust... sigh

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features