We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows xp won't recognise usb stick

sugarbabe

Likes # 0

just done system restore with xp disk on a dell latitude d802 and it now won't recognise internet or memory stick. downloading drivers with cd but if i plug in memory stick doesn't recognise at all

Like this post
sugarbabe

Likes # 0

iT SEEMS TO BE PROBLEM WITH ALL PLUG AND PLAY NOT BEING RECOGNISED. i have no yellow exclamation marks, but plug and play devices like usb stick won;t work

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you installed Service Pack 2 and 3. As you need to do that to get USB wortking

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start - run - type

services.msc

• press ok

Scroll down the list of services and highlight Plug and Play - right click - properties - check it is set to Automatic and click on the start box.

You may need to restart windows for it to take effect.

Like this post
sugarbabe

Likes # 0

On the dell website where i am downloading drivers it has a chipset driver that says it is installing plug and play drivers. it says successfully installed but still won@t work. I have looked at services plug and play is automatic. I have service pack 2 will try download service pack 3 now.

Any other ideas

Like this post
sugarbabe

Likes # 0

I have installed service park 3 still not working

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Lets make sure USB is enabled Start - Run

To enable USB services, use the utdevadm command.

utdevadm -e -s usb (should be a hash sign space utdevadm)

Now lets get rid of any conflicting devices

• are you keyboard and mouse USB or PS2 assumming PS2 as you say no USB is working? download USBdeview from here(to another machine and transfer across by floppy or cd or network) run it and uninstall ALL usb devices (except keyboard and mouse if using USB KB/ Mouse).

Reboot the machine and let windows find new hardware and install when you plug in a usb device.

Like this post
sugarbabe

Likes # 0

hi thanks for help sorry don't understand the utdevadm command. what do i need to type

Like this post
sugarbabe

Likes # 0

It seems to be any plug and play device not just usb for example its not detecting wireless card. i don't know if relevant but when i went to services. human interface device access is disabled and i cannot set to automatic

Like this post
sugarbabe

Likes # 0

hi thanks for help sorry don't understand the utdevadm command. what do i need to type

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The site won't let me write a # (hash)

at the beginning of a line it just changes the font instead.

(# utdevadm -e -s usb) without the brackets

If you cannot start the HID in services then a dependency is not running check Remote Call procedure (RPC) is running.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback