We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 upgrade

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I have a dual-boot XP/Vista machine that I'm planning to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro. When I dual-booted it, I partitioned the hard drive into two.

It has a Core 2 Duo processor and 3GB of memory, so performance shouldn't be an issue. However, before I start, I wanted to find out if anyone had any thoughts as to potential pitfalls, things to do/not do and so on. I plan to restore the hard drive to a single partition. How do I do that?

Obviously, I need to make sure I have W7 versions of all the necessary drivers - but any other guidance?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Windows 7 has a built-in partition manager. Have a read through this.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Pineman. From that, do I take it that I could install W7 over the top of, say, XP on one partition and then, after W7 is installed, use its partition manager to restore the disk to a single partition?

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Yes, that's what I had in mind. To be honest I'm not absolutely sure whether the W7 partition manager allows you to delete and merge partitions, or whether it just allows them to be resized (I've never tried myself). But even if you can only resize, you could still load W7 on one partition, reduce the other partition to almost zero and increase the W7 partition to use up all the released disk space.

Others may be able to dot the i's and cross the t's for you.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Pineman.

Unashamed bump...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers