We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

install new graphics card

robert01

Likes # 0

Just a quick question, I am about to replace my old NVidia graphics card which has died with a newer one. I was going to just pull it out, put the new one in, boot the pc and then load the drivers from the disc when 'new hardware found' appears. Then probably go online for the latest drivers.

However I remember from the last time I did this years ago you had to disable the old card /remove drivers under device manager first. Do I still need to do that or can I just go ahead with my original plan ?

Windows Vista

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You would be wise to uninstall the old drivers first, then fit your new card followed by the drivers for it. As you say you can uninstall the old driver with Device Manager.

Like this post
skeletal

Likes # 0

Definitely remove old drivers/everything to do with NVidia first.

Recently, I had to change my broken NVidia card for an AMD. I stupidly forgot to do this. I successfully installed the new card and all is well, but being a tidy sort of person, I wanted to delete all the NVidia stuff. Add/remove programs managed some of it, but the dreadful NVidia installer won’t uninstall unless there is an NVidia card present! This is truly appalling coding and makes me cross!!!

To remove it I will either have to manually go through the registry, or take out my working card, replace it with a broken one, to go into safe start mode, go to ...

You get the picture ...

Skeletal

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad