We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

++ Microsoft WORD cap letters problem

pcdimwit
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am using an Word 2003 programme, and every next line I begin to type in any format, letter, document, label, etc., appears as a Capital letter, I have been told it is somewhere in "auto format" that I must change "auto format as you type" - or something like this to make it only type a lower case letter on the next line you type, but I cant find any logical straightforward instructions how to do this, what do I do to make it type "properly" i.e. it will only type a capital letter when you press the shift key or caps lock key, thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try Top toolbar: Format > Autoformat - Options button > AutoCorrect tab and UNtick 'Capitalize first letter of sentences'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I should have added that it thinks you have started a new sentence because you have pressed Enter/Return to start a new line

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Oh, I see, WOW, just done that and YES, its not doing that annoying capital letter on a new line, I didnt realise that it automatically set the new line first letter as a capital if you just pressed "enter and return" key, as I tend not to let it automatically start a new line but do the enter/return key on my own when I think the word is near enough to the right margin, thanks alot PCDIMWIT!!!

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

pcdimwit: so, you use Word as if it were a typewriter. Interesting... :-) Just like word processing never happened... :-)

Just a tip for all of you out there who look at the keyboard rather than the screen when you're typing, and get very frustrated when you find you've accidentally hit the Caps Lock key and have spent five minutes TYPING ALL IN UPPER CASE. I use a piece of software called Boldfinger which automatically disables the caps lock key (if you really need it, you have to do Alt + Caps Lock). It's brilliant.

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Yes, I do, because I was taught to type "properly" many years ago, and only look at the screen and therefore treat the WP like a typewriter and always return the "carriage" by hand, its a habit that is very hard to break when one has been taught proper typing, this is why its such a pain that the capital letter was appearing on the first word of the new line (didnt realise that the word programme did this automatically) thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

The problem with using the "carriage return" is that if you insert (or delete) words, sentences or paragraphs from the text your line spacing will go completely haywire. The Enter key should only be used for a new paragraph.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers