We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scam to get control of computer

Zurdo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just had 10 mins. delight in winding up an Asian guy from "MS Systems" who told me I was the computer user and my computer (running XP, Vista or Win7 didn't matter which!) was infected with spyware etc. Instead of slamming down the phone as usual I thought for once I'd lead him on. Told him I had to fire up my comp.(5 mins)Was already on of course then played the idiot and pretended to follow his instructions veeeeeeeeeeery slowly to end up at event viewer and to look for red crosses etc. etc. After 10 mins got a bit fed up so told him I knew all about the scam and to politely "Go away and multiply" Seems he took exception to this and cut the connection. Anyway made me feel a bit better. I lead a sad life!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Spoilsport

I think you could have strung him along for a bit longer - maybe have an emergency, ask him to wait, and then go make yourself a cuppa before picking phone up again and pretend to be someone else - a Policeman come to investigate a serious crime works quite well ;)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

LOL. Yes, Zurdo, people like you and me need to get out more. But it's good that someone has re-raised this - it gets posted about every month, and people need to be aware. I'm not sure how sinister these people are in terms of getting control of your computer: it's always seemed more likely to me - I've never actually found out - that they want you to pay for software/service that you don't need. But then, I'm naive like that...

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Brilliant, I usually get annoyed and hang up, but I like your style. I feel it might well be used to annoy other unwanted calls as well.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Behaviour like this is a complete waste of time - surely you must have something better to do than messing about playing these kind of tricks on a caller?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE this thread is 4 months old (and it was raining that afternoon.....)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Worth a lock....possibly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...