We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB 2 support

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently did a clean install of WinXP. I now have all the updates known to man. However, what I don't have is USB 2.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Presumably you don't have the "Enhanced Host Controller" listed in Device Manager so USB is functioning as 1.1 instead of 2.0? Try deleting all of the listed USB Host Controllers then reboot so that Windows "finds new hardware" and reinstalls them, hopefully including the USB 2.0 support.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

mgmcc

No, unfortunately I tried that but it didn't work. These are what I have...

ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller

USB Mass Storage Device

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

USB Root Hub

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Looks like you need SP1 at least to have it.

link text

maybe run the fix it and see if that helps.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you need to install the service packs sp2 and sp3 - SP2 contains SP1.

Also looks as if you have onboard USB and a USB card fitted ALi and SIS if you still do not have the enhanced controller after the SP updates then you will need to download the drivers from ALi and SIS

USB man will have or point you to all the drivers you need.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

buteman

Trouble is you can nolonger get SP1, or at least I haven't been able to. I've got a USBEHCI.sys on another PC.

Oh, wait a minute, I've just looked into this PC's 'i386' file. Here, there are three blue cabinets (cab). The are labelled 'sp1' ~ 'sp2' ~ 'sp3'. inside each are, among other things there are USB drivers. However, none contain 'usbehci.sys'. What if I were to copy it from my other PC and drop one in each cab?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Had a look on my computer W/7 and it is on here.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

Just scroll down to usbehci.sys and see if it is on there.

I had a terrible time last week trying to install a usb driver as it said not digitally signed so would not let me download it.

I eventually managed it but don't ask me how.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

buteman

This is how you allow unsigned drivers in windows 7

Graphicool1

SP2 contains SP1. so all you need is to install SP2 then SP3

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above you only needs SP2 and 3 this will get your USB2 working without anything else

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\

I have bookmarked it in case I need it again.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Update and an Amazing Discovery!

Fruit Bat /\0/\

"SP2 contains SP1. so all you need is to install SP2 then SP3"

Sadly, been there, done that, to no avail. In fact since I was last here I've been all over the Internet, reading everything I could find, regarding USB2. But every time I just came out clutching fresh air. I've downloaded many, many possiblities, but still nothing. Then I realised that all of a sudden, all my USB devices had stopped working. Things were going from bad to worse. So I tried a 'System Restore'. But nomatter how far back I went, it wouldn't restore. I was begining to lose the will to live.

This was when I thought I would try the idea I mentioned above, taking a usbehci.sys file from my other PC and manually installing it. I'd already transferred it from my other PC, before all this went down. It wouldn't let me do it. But while I was trying I noticed something very odd? There, for all the world to see, was a usbehci.sys file. I could see it so why couldn't the PC. So once again I decided to act outside of the box. I deleted it from the driver file and also cleared it from the bin. Then I rebooted...

I now have USB2 and everything is working again!!?? Don't ask, I have no idea.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July