We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ubuntu11.04 install

immer

Likes # 0

I have a duel system Tosiba Laptop WXPsp3 & Ubuntu 10 etc. I tried Ubuntu 11.04 from the dowloaded CDiso etc & liked it so descided to wipe the laptop with a one pass disc eraser prog & install all ubuntu 11.4. All went well till I logged on the new installed system. I get the background picture, the mousepad workes ok but I get no icons of any type. On another PC I remade the installation disc from a new iso DL & retried. Reinstalled over but with the same final resoult - no icons etc after login. No keyboard or F numbers do anything nor left or rt click on keypad....anyone any ideas please? (I tried the support page for this product but found the log in page defeated me, so I've come to you good friends !)

Like this post
kjrider

Likes # 0

Just to say I have had problems with the new Ubuntu 11.04 and i have now gone back to 10.10 which works fine for me. I am using it now.

KJR

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

11.04, I'm sad to say, is one of those distributions that either works on a machine, or it doesn't.

In my view, it was released too early, not having been fully developed with the new Unity desktop and has done more harm than good to Linux.

kjrider's post is good. Try 10.10 and all should be well. Alternatively, try Linux Mint, which I think is a far better distro, particularly if your new to Linux.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad