We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive Removal

Simon 6102

Likes # 0

Hi Please note that I would class myself as a novice PC owner. I have a Mesh Matrix XP 2000+ Value PC. I wish to remove the Hard Drive which will then be Physically Destroyed. The PC will then be dumped. 1) Is this something which I will be able to do myself and if so 2) How do I Identify and then remove the Hard Drive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

When you open the case you will see several flat "ribbon" cables from the motherboard. These connect to the floppy disk drive, hard drive and CD/DVD drive. As the floppy and CD/DVD drives are easily identifiable, the remaining device will be the hard drive. Pull out the ribbon cable and power cable. There will then probably be four screws holding it in its cradle - undo these and remove the drive.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

These are maxtors but they all look pretty much the same click here

Like this post
Simon 6102

Likes # 0

Hi mgmcc I have followed your instructions, I hope, correctly.From the top there is the Floppy Drive, CD/RW Drive and what must be the DVD Rom Drive which all match up to a unit/box as seen from the side of the casing. Looking at the side now, below those is a space and then a carrier which has a metal tag which is labeled PRESS. I removed the Ribbon and power cable....Press the PRESS to release the carrier and remove. The unit I have to hand now is MAXTOR 5400RPM 40 GB Ultra ATA/100Hard Drive. The Model # on the unit is the same as that on the paper work. I pray I have got it all correct. Thank you for your prompt help. You just have yourself a great day now. Regards

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That is the Hard drive the same as the images I linked to

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Second part of your question ... If you have a heavy hammer and preferably a narrow cold chisel use the one with the other and make as many severe dents as you have the inclination.

One good dent about 30 cms from the centre should be enough, but you can amuse yourself making a mess of very tight tolerances on your one time trusted HD

Like this post
Simon 6102

Likes # 0

Thank you Strawballs and Diemmess for your most helpful assistance. I am now certain that I have the correct thing to hand and will proceed to destroy at will. Take care and best regards.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...