We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

McAfee Security Centre

Stickman6

Likes # 0

Hi, my Samsung x125 notebook came pre-loaded with a 6 month trial version of McAfee Security Centre. Now the 6 months are up, I wish to delete the McAfee program and install another anti virus program, however, everytime I try to uninstall the McAfee program, the computer hangs-up and I have to re-boot. I tried installing the free version of AVG anti virus program but the computer ran very slow. Any ideas of how to uninstall the McAfee Secuirty Centre would be helpful.

Regards, alarot

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

link text

Scroll down to McAfee special utilities to remove McAfee products and use the removal tool.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Use Microsoft's tool

here

Don't install another antivirus until McAffee is uninstalled. Avast or MSE slow the computer down less than AVG (I've found).

Like this post
Stickman6

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the above replies. When I try to uninstall any of the McAfee programs I receive a message stating that I require Administrator rights or I have to log on as the Administrator to delete the files. How can this be when I am the only user of this computer, and as far as I know always log on as the Administrator.?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" I receive a message stating that I require Administrator rights or I have to log on as the Administrator to delete the files. How can this be when I am the only user of this computer, and as far as I know always log on as the Administrator.?"

Even though you are indeed logged on as an Administrator, some operations in Vista and Win7 require elevated permissions. If it's the McAfee remover you downloaded that's playing up then right-click on the program icon and choose "Run as Administrator".

Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...