We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot view certain images

kumo22

Likes # 0

I have Windows 7. I have two user accounts set up. An e-card was sent to us and was viewed through one of the user accounts. We could not view the card. There was a little box with a red x rather than the card. I then sent an alternative card to myself as a trial to a different email address and viewed it through the other user account. Everything was fine. I have examined the settings, as best I can, and there seems to be no difference in the internet explorer settings in the different user accounts.

I have followed an online instruction but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Any help will be appreciated.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

http://img709.imageshack.us/i/screenshot00281k.jpg/

In Internet Explorer, Tools>Internet Options>Advanced then 'Show images' as per my screenshot.

Might work!

Like this post
kumo22

Likes # 0

Thank you,

I'm certain that I have tried this already but I'll check again.

Like this post
kumo22

Likes # 0

As I thought I had already ensured that this option was selected and there is no change.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi

"I then sent an alternative card to myself as a trial to a different email address and viewed it through the other user account. Everything was fine."

Forgive me for saying this, but a better test would have been to forward the original problem e-mail for viewing in the other user account. Please try it as there's a chance it's the e-card that's faulty and not your settings.

How are you viewing this e-card? I know you've talked about IE settings but you haven't explicitly confirmed you view it in Internet Explorer. Some cards are viewed in an e-mail client such as Live Mail or Outlook Express, and if the images are missing and replaced with a red X then there's usually an easy fix for that.

Like this post
kumo22

Likes # 0

Thank you. The card is sent via email with a link. When the link is clicked it opens as a website in Internet Explorer.

I have tried sending different cards to the user account with the problem and I can't view any of them.

I should point out that the card is animated.

I don't know whether this has any bearing but the user account from which I could view the cards successfully I use for simple website design. In this account I had to allow Active X. I'm not really sure what influence this has but perhaps this may be a factor.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info Kumo - here are a couple of thing s to try:

1) In the problem user account, go into Internet Options and click the "Security" tab. Reset the Internet zone to its recommended defaults by clicking the "Default Level" button. If IE is open, close it, and try another link from one of the e-mails.

2) A third-party IE add-on could be causing the problem. To test for this, use Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). If you don't know where to find it then click the Start button and immediately type internet and it should appear at the top of the search results. Lastly, copy the link from the e-mail into IE's Address Bar and let us know whether the e-card now loads correctly. Note that you can't click the link in the e-mail as the regular version of IE will open.

Like this post
kumo22

Likes # 0

I've tried all three options but no joy.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

If you've got an alternative browser installed (such as Firefox) then you could try that. If you don't want to make it the default browser, then again, you'll need to copy 'n' paste the URL from the e-mail into the Address Bar.

If it works then you may find it an acceptable workaround.

Like this post
kumo22

Likes # 0

Thanks. I installed Opera and similar problems across all Users. I thought that the answer may lie in installing IE 9 but I get exactly the same problem. One User works fine the other don't.

Could it be that I'm looking at IE when in fact the problem lies with Windows 7?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear of all the faff you've been through :(

You say these are animated pictures that refuse to display. Do you know the type of file it is? If you don't then in the "good" user profile, using IE, right-click on one. If it's a Flash-based image then you'll see "About Adobe Flash" at the bottom of the menu. Otherwise choose "Properties" and see if it shows the image type - it's likely to be a GIF if anything as it's animated.

Lastly, what real-time security protection are you running on that PC? A few years ago some users were having problems viewing animated GIFs and it turned out to be a setting in the ZoneAlarm firewall that was blocking it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback