We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCA Web

Bagsey

Likes # 1

Can someone please tell me what are the good points of this new page layout. I have been visiting this PCA forum for more than nine years and have had a lot of help and pleasure from it, but I have to say that the new layout is driving me away. I would very much appreciate it if someone could tell me what is good about the new design.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 1

Progress is when you go forward and things get better.Apart from it looking better I would say the older version was more user friendly.

Is there anything in this version that works better than the old version.I have not came across any but no doubt someone will give me a list of improvements.I know a few things on the old version that work better than what we have on the new version and they will say thats progress.

It may be an age thing and maybe the younger members prefer the new style, and maybe when all the problems have been sorted it may help.

It was a massive leap from what we were used to and if there were a choice I would still be using the old version.

As the FE says we will get used to it through time.I am not so sure, If anything drops out of the first page I don't bother looking for it anymore, And My Posts and Search leave a lot to be desired.

This is only my view and I would like to give a glowing report on the new version but at the moment all I can say is it looks better.[Well not quite it is still to bright or white for me]maybe because of my poorish eyesight.

Mind you I had a good moan at the last Web site update with the black sides never did like that.

All the staff must have put an awful lot of work into the new design and have done a great job but maybe to many changes at the same time have made it a bit awkward understanding how the changes actually worked.

So what I am saying was the old version was much easier for me to use but I am probably in the minority so just a matter of getting used to it I suppose.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 1

My thoughts on this matter...

We liked the old PCA because it was the 'OLD PCA' warm, familiar and comfortable. PCA apparently thought that was as good a reason as any to move onward, if not quite yet upward. Wether or not it can be called progress is a different matter entirely. I'll leave others to be the judge of that. But what I can say is, just because something is new, that doesn't automatically make it better, just different.

The real reason that this site has hitherto been so successful is all about those familiar names that gave their time and knowledge for free, to help others. What the site looked like and how it performed wasn't the catalyst that made it the success it has become. That was brought about by the faceless ones, with names that have become synonymous with PCA.

What we have to hope is that the other helpers who haven't been seen lately, haven't been frightened away by the changes. Because that would be a travesty for all concerned.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 1

I like the new look my only gripe is the multiple post in the my posts and they don't show times or posters just lots of N/A's but that aside I do think it is an improvement.

I think it is human nature I remember when XP was first released it got a flood of complaints and when they released Vista all the chorus was I want to revert back to XP :-)

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 1

Well I must admit, I'm getting quite annoyed by the lack of fixes applied to the site since it was changed 8 weeks ago.

PCA have managed to implement the advertisements (full screen, skyscrapers and all) because "advertising keeps the site free" and have apparently bought and implemented a new server which has made certain things faster for some, but overall the site is unwieldy and over-coded imho, certain things don't quite work properly, others don't work at all and despite lots of posts describing and complaining about all these little glitches, nothing seems to be happening wrt getting them fixed.

I have tried to point out various glitches by inserting complaints in various posts - I have just started a new thread aimed directly at "the powers that be" but it has so far been ignored, apart from a few concurring responses. This thread also reiterates them almost to the letter.

Quite honestly, I'm considering visiting less, but I have ongoing threads and like to see what is happening to them.

I'll give it another few weeks and if things don't improve I'll be off to build up a profile on another site - there are plenty out there, it's just a matter of analysing content and reliability of responses.

Like this post
Bagsey

Likes # 1

Is there way to tick a thread when a query has been answered as there was in the old site. Anyone know???

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

Bagsey: On the right of each Posting is a little white Oval with a grey splodge in it (It actually sort-of resembles the "Thumbs Up" which it's meant too represent).

Click on the one that most nearly represents the Solution to your Problem and a Grey Tick will appear. Click on that Tick and it will turn Green.

VoilĂ , Thread Closed

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I have tried to reply from IE and FF4 to posts on Helproom and Consumerforum and been unable to send them, about five now stuck on "Please Wait" Lets see how this one goes or I shall give up bothering.

I don't have any trouble with other forums.

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Muergo Seems like you succeeded.

Have you tried copying all the text then refreshing and then paste and quickly do tick to subscribe if you want and post.

Most people on here are having to do the same thing, and there is fewer probs doing it this way.

Quick tip, if you have added formatting and links, copy everything in the editor, and after you have refreshed the page, when you paste, all the formatting is still there. This is sure to save a couple of ticks from going by.

I do not know how many of you already have worked that out but not so obvious as it sounds.

-----------------------

Has anyone also got the same prob as me with PCA Mobile site?

The prob I have is switching to full desktop version to write a post.

When viewing a thread, I have to come away from that thread to use the link to the desktop version as when on a thread, it keeps redirecting back to the mobile version of the thread page.

It is mobile safari on iPod touch 4g.

Jason.

-----------------------

This has gone on for a while now! Woof!tiring to think about! :-) ;-) lol

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

????????????????????????????????? Testing to see if these smileys work

Like this post
Jwbjnwolf

Likes # 0

Oh :-(, aint work, sad I think PCA should also add the ability for pictures/smileys like alot of other forums but only for trusted users that have got a certern number of likes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow