We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD not found.

hardtofind

Likes # 0

Hello all.

I am running Win XP pro SP3. My HD is a Maxtor 160GB IDE drive which is shown as C. No problems with that.

I have installed a Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA drive in the second bay. This drive is not 'seen' by the computer in Device Manager, BIOS or anywhere else. I removed it again and put it in an external caddy and it was recognised immediately. While it was in there I formatted it as it is a brand new drive. I assume therefore that the drive is OK.

I have now put it back in the main computer but again it is not 'seen'.

Can anyone throw any light on this please? I suppose it is just possible that the SATA cable is defective and I have ordered a new one.

I should mention that I did have a SATA drive in there before as a secondary drive and that worked OK. While ago though.

Thank you in advance.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Check power to the drive.

Check, in BIOS, that SATA control is enabled

Check BIOS settings to ensure a second hard drive is installed.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Also check your bios, make sure your sata controller is set to ATA, not AHCI. Otherwise the computer wont see the drive when trying to install XP in some cases.

Like this post
hardtofind

Likes # 0

Jollyjohn.

How do I check the power? Also I have been in BIOS but cannot see a 'SATA control' There are 4 entries for a SATA drive and they are all set to auto, if that's what you mean. Only the IDE drive shows up.

chub_tor.

Can't see any entries relating to ATA or AHCI.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Can you post the model number of your motherboard so that we can find the manual and take a look at the BIOS details? If you don't know the motherboard model you can find it by downloading and running SIW or Belarc

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

There should be a separate power cable to the drive.. Try a different one if possible.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Is your motherboard only 1.5Gbits SATA. I believe there is a jumper on the Seagate drive to limit it to 1.5Gbits instead of 3.0Gbits so that it is compatible with the earlier specification.

Like this post
hardtofind

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies everyone and sorry for the delay in replying, just logged on.

chub_tor. My MB is an Asus M2N-E-SLI.

Jollyjohn. There are two spare ones and I have tried them both. No change.

canarieslover. I don't know the answer to that one. I didn't know there were any jumpers on a SATA drive but I will take it out again and check.

Like this post
hardtofind

Likes # 0

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I have now discovered the problem and feel really stupid. After taking the drive out and checking the cables again I realised that the power cable with the SATA power connectors on was not actually attached to the PSU. It was just jumbled up with the other cables. Didn't have a spare power connector so had to pinch one off one of my CD drives.

Anyway all OK now and sorry to waste your time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do