We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can I stop Windows XP moving files about?

Garawa

Likes # 0

I have a number of MP3 tracks in the "MY MUSIC" folder and use Media Monkey to play and burn them. Every now again the tracks grey out because it cannot find them anymore but on checking the filepath it is still correct. However, on checking the folder, some tracks have mysteriously moved! It largely affects tracks that were ripped with no known database tags and thus ripped as but has happened with others as well.

This is fine as I generally rename the files and move them to the part of the folder were all the tracks are kept and this gives them a more standard filepath which MM then adds to the library. Every now again a few months after being ripped, the tracks just dissappear and go back into a folder of their own with the UNKNOWN tags back again and I have to go back through the process again. The annoying this is that may happen when nothing is being used. I may just open the music folder or download a track to it without WMP or MM being open and I only know it has happened when I try to play the song.

How can I stop the files being moved without my knowledge and how can I stop them getting renamed. They are always renamed with the current date and time so the PC isn't reverting back to the same name as before. Is this normal for the pc to move stuff about????

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its not just windows, its programs you use that's moving them

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

they probably create there own backup folder

Like this post
Garawa

Likes # 0

It has to be WMP then as I use that to rip. But it does that intermittently as these tracks were ripped months ago. Why move them tonight and not last week and why move them at all???

It's definitely not MM because if it moved them, it would know where it put them and so they wouldn't "grey-out".

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you got Media Monkey and/or WMP on some automatic setting that checks and sorts for artist, album, song name, tracks etc. on the internet?

That's the only reason I can think of.

Like this post
Garawa

Likes # 0

I don't think so. It rips using the tags requested from freedb etc and if not found gives the UNKONWN tags. Its after altering them to what they should be that it reverts to something else. Not sure why WMP would want to overwrite an updated filepath to something generic having happily used it for weeks/months without doing it.

Its very infuriating!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded