We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle connection conundrum

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

One of my friends has a new new Kindle, and was demonstrating all its virtues. One thing struck me- titles can be downloaded directly onto it. I assume then this must be achieved via a Cellphone account , so I asked and which does network does it go through and does it cost? I got a blank, and she said no, it just does it.

So in the words of Robert Llewellyn How Do They Do It?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

It is just like a pc using wireless. It connects with your router or any other available one that you can use ( secured with use of password info etc ) or an unsecured one. It is a wifi device.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

There's two sorts of Kindle, here's the description from Amazon

Kindle (Wi-Fi) is a great choice if you already have a high-speed internet connection and wireless router setup at home, and do not want the added convenience of a 3G connection which enables you to download books anytime, anywhere on the go. If you do not have Wi-Fi setup in your home, Kindle 3G would be a better option.

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity. The added convenience of 3G enables you to download books anytime, anywhere on the go—without having to find a Wi-Fi hotspot connection. With wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, Kindle 3G is a great option for travelers.

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

3G will be built into the device

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thank you lotvic I assume therefore that as connection via any type of service is not Free as such - you pay some how - the connection fee via Kindle must be built into the price of the publication the user downloads

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite