We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System could not log you on...

nick_j007
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all. Tried searching but to no avail.

For quite some time I have had to press enter a few times at point of log on rather than being faced with my desk top when the PC auto boots at my set time of 8am each week day.

No huge problem as such, but felt motivated to address it today.

The message I get is the "The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name..."

I press enter and it resolves. Behind the message screen I can see the username and password box but greyed out.

I don't require any security on the PC to be fair, apart from my AV and firewall of course.

I did read something about using Alt+Tab when on this screen, but it made no difference.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Just a query - have you installed any new drivers or updates prior to this problem occurring ?

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Well it's been doing this for well over a year, so it's long standing and I've learned to live with it to be honest.

Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

That's a long time - so it could be down to anything - and yes there are somethings you CAN learn to live with.

You could have a look here - link text

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Thank you I had Google'd in that way and came up with very little to help me. There was some thread re the registry, but my registry thread didn't match the one I was following as an example.

Here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300433 I am going to have another look using the link above.

Thanks.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

This might be it below. I can follow all the parts in bold, but then I cannot find the rest of the information. Am I missing something?

* The AutoAdminLogon feature is enabled for an administrator account.
* The account for which the AutoAdminLogon feature is set, is either deleted or does not exist, but the registry settings for the Autologon feature for that account are still in the registry. The symptoms occur whenever you delete an account for which the Autologon feature is set.

The registry and its settings are: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

DefaultDomainName (REG_SZ) : Computer name DefaultUserName (REG_SZ): User name (admin) DefaultPassword (REG_SZ): Password AutoAdminLogon (REG_SZ): 1 AutoLogonCount (REG_DWORD) : any value greater than one (1)

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

I think I was on the wrong path re the registry above.

I have found this page which seems to have got me a bit straighter http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

However, it would seem I have two admin accounts. If I understand it correctly, I have one that is not used (I think this is the 'master' admin acct and not used), and the second admin acct is the one I use. I wish it was the other way round if you see what I mean? I'm wishing I had set my account up on the original admin acct.

I can only delete the second admin account which is the one I am all set up on.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do