We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Start up problem

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Not sure if it is the On switch or what.

Start the computer and sometimes it takes ages to start the small circle you see when starting up stops and starts a barely turns and it takes ages for the computer to get everything started.Even then it is so slow opening pages the only thing to do is restart the computer then it normally boots up fine.

I think it may be the switch that is faulty if you push it in firmly and hold it till you hear the bleeps it starts Ok.

It is only about 3 months old but have had the problem since new.

It is no big problem as it only happens occasionally but was wondering if anyone new anything that would make it do this so that I can get it sorted.

It is a Medion Akoya P5315 D [MD8351] so the booklet says.W/7 64Bit.

At start up one bleep followed by two others.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore the three Bleeps. Just listened carefully it sounds like the hard drive starting followed by 2 bleeps. So only 2 bleeps and not 3.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AMI Bios beep codes.

link text

All computers bleep at start up just wondering if the 2 bleeps is anything to worry about.

AMI Bios installed but I am afraid the bleep code do not meen a lot to me.If you open the 2 bleep code it says 3 bleeps so not sure what is what.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Possible RAM issue by the look of it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Yes we must have got there about the same time.

Looks like the best bet is to open it up and see if I can find any problems.

Anything I should be looking for in particular.

Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

Now I am not sure what they mean [ First check video ]How do you do that.

Memory is showing the proper amount 4Gb when right clicking my Computer and clicking on properties.

Looks like I have 2 memory slots according to SIW so is it just a matter of swopping those about or just making sure they are properly seated.

Just looking for things to check when I eventually open it up.Or is 2 bleeps normal on a computer and it may be something different that is causing the problems.

Power supply is very quiet I don't suppose it could be that not starting properly.

No big rush to get started on this so anything that I should be looking out for that could cause the same sort of problem.

I don't like going into computers unless it is a last resort as I know very little of the workings inside.But I suppose there is only one way to learn.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

2 Beeps is not normal,only 1 is. In the first instance I would remove the RAM sticks and swap them and then reseat them.Them Boot your PC if still getting 2 beeps, remove one stick then boot again, note whether you are getting 1 or 2 beeps, then do the same with the other stick then post back.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Ok thanks for the information I will not be doing it today or I might will see how I feel.

But will let you know the outcome when it is done.

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Computer only three months old, why not just give Medion a call and ask for advice, especially if you are not too happy at opening the computer case, they might know the answer to your problem, it could be something very simple for you to fix.

Good luck with it anyway.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Buteman - have a look on here - you may just find something. link text

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is also an "unofficial" Support Forum. I don't think there is any cost involved - just a case of registering.link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room