We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help unable to stream videos from Windows media player to my PS3!!!

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good morning to u all. I have a windows 7 64 bit desktop, and i'm attempting to stream my videos including soem family videos from my external usb drive which is connected to my desktop, to my ps3 but i'm having all sorts of problems!!!! I've followed vidoes on youtube but i'm still having issues!!

When i go to windows media player.....and click om turn on media straming...my show devices is BLANK!!!!! so i cannot proceed. It then said somewhere on a youtube video..so go to start,....then type in services,..and look for windows media player,.....well windows media player does NOT seem to show under my sercies, so i seem to be totally stuck. Any suggestions please???

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"When i go to windows media player.....and click om turn on media straming...my show devices is BLANK!!!!!"

Sorry to ask an obvious question Julius, but have you added the device to Windows? If you haven't then I'll give you some instructions.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello secret-squirrel,.....maybe i have not done that pls kindly post me instructions, thanks loadz

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

1) Make sure that your PS3 is on and connected to your home network.

2) Go to Control Panel, make sure the "View By" option is set to "Large Icons", then double click on "Devices And Printers".

3) At the top of that window, click "Add a Device" and within a short while your PS3 should appear in the list so go through the steps to add it.

"well windows media player does NOT seem to show under my sercies"

I don't have that service either but I do have a "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" with a "Startup Type" of "Automatic (Delayed Start)". Have another look there if it's still not working for you.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

I have never seen a PS3 added to a Windows Based Machine via the Add Device Wizard.

How to connect PS3 to Windows 7

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I have never seen a PS3 added to a Windows Based Machine via the Add Device Wizard"

Actually, you may be right - I've assumed that the PS3 would behave like any other media server such as the ones made by Western digital, the Xbox etc.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I've done some research and it turns out the PS3 is fully DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compliant. I'm guessing that my earlier instructions should, in principle, work and Julius will then be able to stream from his Media Player. I don't have a PS3 so I can't experiment.

Let's hope we get some feedback from either the original poster or another PS3/Windows 7 user.

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello all i'm back again, still having problems!!! Ive put my ps3 on, when i got to control panel, and then it says searching for devices.....make sure your device is discoverable,..but the ps3 is already on and i'm assuming its already discoverable, but my pc still has NOT detected the ps3 and my ps3 hasnt detected my pc under the search for media servers!!!

Any suggestions now please??

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Have you allowed the Windows media player and Media player network sharing services on your firewall ?

I would use a Media server on your PC like TVersity or Orb there much better than Windows Media player

Once installed on PC the PS3 should pick them both up and and allow you to stream Movies , Music from your PC to the PS3

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

If this doesn't help then I'm out of ideas.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

We're over here now guys.. Click Here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia