We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PCIe x1 slot obscured by graphics card

CurlyWhirly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just bought a 120 GB SDD drive which runs at it's full potential in SATA 3 mode.

Unfortunately my motherboard is only SATA 2.

I want to buy one of these but I can't fit it in my motherboard because my graphics card obscures the slot.

See here

The graphics card takes up the space highlighted in red and the PCIe x1 slot I want to use is the small yellow slot.

Any way round this problem?

Cheers.

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

it will work in the white slots if its like other pci cards

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Alternative that uses PCI slot. link text

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

citadel It will work in the white slots if it's like other PCI cards

link text

The connectors are too small for the PCI slots surely or would they still work ?

Also PCI Express is much faster than the legacy PCI interface, would usimg them not slow down the controller card ?

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

canarieslover:Alternative that uses PCI slot

Yes but it is mainly for RAID and I would like to get the full potential from my SSD by upgrading from the SATA 2 standard to SATA 3.

Also it isn't compatible with Windows 7 :(

Thanks anyway though ;)

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

If you have to use a SATA PCI-Express x1 Controller Card and your current graphics card is obscuring the slot. There is no alternative but to either buy a new Motherboard or Graphics Card. End Of.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Beta - I'm not sure if I have to use a PCIe x1 controller card.

I was hoping that there would be an alternative that plugs into the SATA interface but can't find one and so it looks like I will have to make do with what I've got !

Cheers.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

re citadel
it will work in the white slots if its like other pci cards

No, it won't. The connection interface is different.

However if your motherboard has a 2nd pci-e 16x slot ,you can put the adapter card in there though it'll work as the default speed of the adapter card i.e. x1.

Unfortunately it looks like your motherboard hasn't got this facility and the only option is as ßeta suggested.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...