We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How much data on a normal DVD?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I've always understood that you couldn't store/burn more than 4.7GB of data on to a normal (not dual-layer) DVD but when i use NERO Databurning i find that i can store over 8GB of data on there with no warnings/red at the bottom? Is this correct please?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

In the bottom corner there are two selection DVD5 4.7GB and DVD9 8.5GB(Dual Layer)

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

you cant even get 4.7 on a disc least not wiht movies the max is around 4.2 You cant possibly have 8g are you saying you have actually burnt 8 to a disc or just that Nero says you can .If the latter then its probably assuming you intend to use a DL disc. If the former wow goodbye dvd shrink Ha!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ha Ha, i do apologise- It's the latter!!! DOH!! Ok, unfortunately Nero says i can......unless i click my mouse on the files then it's all red!!

You see, i have used Nero Vision to extract the files from some DVDs i have as i wanted to store tham as data on, i was hoping, one DVD. (i used Nero vision to store them in a folder as opposed to just copying the files because that way they appear as VOB files)

So, i guess my new question is how can i reduce the size of the files but still keep the content?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, thank you. Rather oddly, i cant get it to 'see' the mpegs that nero vision has stored the files as?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Please can someone tell me what files does DVD shrink recognise?

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

HI shrink will only recopgnise either an Iso image or a video_ ts folder .and will only create either of the aforementioned Clarify exactly what you want to do Ie create a dvd that will play on a dvd player or just store your files as Mpeg. Vob files are Mpeg by the way If the former then dvd flick which is free will accept and compress to one dvd again making sure you have selected single layer.If the latter then you cannot compress an individual Mpeg2 and still retain it as an Mpeg2 you would need to choose converting to another format say Mp4

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more