We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up a duplicate (2nd) Printer

Namlod

Likes # 0

Could someone please advise me on how to set up a second printer, to the default one, in Windows 7? In XP I could add a second printer as a 'clone' of my first printer and adjust the actual print to 'draft' quality and use this to save ink. It appeared as a second actual printer which I named 'DRAFT'. Worked fine. In Windows 7 however, when I try to add another printer to my Canon MP620 wireless (or USB) machine, I discover I am unable to create a second/copy of the existing one, - and am therefore unable to create a 'draft' version of the existing default printer. Thanks. Ian

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

Am I right in thinking you want two printers? One for best work and the other for draft work. I have two printers on my computer

Printer No1 is a Cannon PI4700 which I use for quality work I.E. photographs and letters.

Printer No2 is a brother laser printer HL-2030 this I use for print-outs of emails and instructions or any draft type work. Printer No1 the Cannon is set to default on my tower and I have a laptop on homegroup and the No2 brother is the default printer. In all cases they were installed as you normaly would install a single printer without any problems.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Just load it as if it was the only printer you have got, then set the one you want to use most as Default. You can still choose the printer to print from in the program drop down under Printer Properties.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS you can even load the same printer that you have but only use one as default but both printers can have different Print Settings as Default, so you do not need to change them each time

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Take a look at this from a Vista forum, the last thread may just work for you. click Here

Like this post
Namlod

Likes # 0

Thanks, folks. Yes - I can set up 2 different separate printers no problem in Win7. I just have not discovered a way of setting up 2 versions of my MP620 - one as default with standard printing, and a second separate, identical version, but set up in draft mode - as I could very easily/simply do in WinXP. I realise I can change the print output each time I want to print something using the default printer, but it was very much easier just to click on the 'draft' printer drop-down option to get this output, in WinXP! Win7 does not appear to have this facility..... Progress??? Ian

Like this post
Namlod

Likes # 0

Chub_Tor - what an ace! Your link above, to Dan's post was spot on. I now have 2 MP620 Printers, one as default/normal-print mode, and the second in draft mode. Perfect. Very many thanks. Ian

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK