We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Recording hum

brindly

Likes # 0

I have a program called Sonicstage Mastering Studio wher I can record into through inline from tape decks and the like I can also record from a mic, recently however there is a hum on the recording and the sound is not very good. I have another program which does similar recordings and that does the same. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the hum please. I am running Windows XP, I know old but I like it and this program never used to have this hum.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 1

You could get an exteral sound card for a fiver or less on amazon no bigger than a memeory stick, that would make your mic usb that might help .Also check all your settings as there are TWO mic selections in windows and you only need the one on the mixer to be selected check if the other one is muted or not mines is best muted

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Thanks eedcam, checking the mute fixed the problem, don't understand how it got turned off but there you go. Thanks again, i will be able to sleep tonight now.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

The hum is almost certainly caused by the method of connecting the ausio equipment to your PC. Its nothing software related or down to the operating system.

As a generalisation all leads must be screened. Its also possible you have what is termed a "ground loop".

Do you get this hum if you use a battery powered device as an audio source component ?

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Are you getting this from both line in and Microphone

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It can also be cheap Hardware, motors and transformers microphones etc bad Earth

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Like everyone seems to have said - normally, this is a ground/earth loop. When I was ripping LPs (anyone out there old enough to remember LPs?) to .mp3, I had that problem with my record deck. In the end, I fixed it by buying a USB turntable - an expensive fix, but it was much more convenient.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In the old days you were advised to ensure only one earth connection should be made to amplifiers etc. Not sure if this is possible with the built in cables these days.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you have a laptop it will not have an earth connection and your other equipment may not either, you could try earthing your tape-deck or computer but not both.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

You need one of these, it's an earth loop eliminator. All it is, is a 1:1 transformer, I used to make them back in the days when you couldn't buy them commercially, it is a standard trick audio engineers use, much safer than starting to lift the safety earth on electrical equipment which is quite a dangerous practice, many a good artist has been electrocuted because their guitar was not earthed ;)

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for your advice. Strange though it never used to do this. It only happens when I try to use a mic, probably like me; getting old. Funnily enough it also happens with my cctv audio,i get a similar hum on the recordings.Not sure how i would connect the Ground Loop Isolator octal, the mic just pushes in to a jack socket which in turn is one of the options in the software, the other is line in. I have ausb record deck and that works fine, so back to the drawing board

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......