We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

adding laptop to PC

rnsa

Likes # 0

I have a PC but my wife is about to receive a new Laptop. Can we use my present ISP on it ? I so, how ? If not, do I need to use another ISP on the laptop. I've forgotten how I got my present provider so how do I get a new one. Be grateful for any help. David Nichols.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Your wife's new PC will be able to share your internet connection, I am assuming broadband, either wirelessly or via an Ethernet cable. Get in touch with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) either via the phone or visit their website, where should find instructions on how to add another PC to your connection.

If you post your ISP name I will have a look for the help pages and post back.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Assuming Win 7 and you have a wireless connection, just turn it on and go to bottom right of screen and click on the wireless network icon, it will give you the networks available, select yours and enter your passphrase or code and click connect - simple as that. The code should be on the bottom of the router or with the dolcumentation that came with it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you find out your router is not a wireless one, ask your ISP for one. They will (probably) ask you to pay - suggest you'll change to another if they don't - they will almost certainly give way and give you one.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'you'll change to another '

by that I meant another ISP.

Like this post
rnsa

Likes # 0

gengiscant,ventanas,onthelimit1, Thank you all for your interest and efforts to help me. I should have also told you that whilst I use Windows XP, my wife's laptop will have Windows 7.

My present provider is talttalk.net I have looked at their web site but can find no direct help,so any further assistance from one or all of you would be thankfully received. David nichols

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

What operating system your wife's PC has really does not matter. Looking on 'Talktalks' website I found plenty of help pages. Have a look here: Talktalk

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Do you have a modem or Modem/Router?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Let us know the make and model of the router you use.

Like this post
rnsa

Likes # 0

I have a TalkTalk router. My impression is that I can disconnect the router from my PC, and then connect it to the laptop. Is that correct,and if it is, how can I use my PC at the same time as my wife is using the laptop ?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

What make is the TalkTalk router? On most, you can connect up to 4 PCs/Laptops by ethernet cable and as many (within reason) by wireless as well. If what you have a is a modem, you would have to do as you say. Come back with make and model. You can have a look at the rear to see what sort, and how many sockets there are as well. If it is a modem, try doing what I suggested on 4Jun at 5:28.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015