We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista SP1

keith mac

Likes # 0

Helping a family member recently with an eMachines PC the taskbar was notifying Vista SP1 as a scheduled MS Update. I think the download was about 470meg. So the Vista o/s is the original OEM release that came with the PC.

Is it worth all the hassle of downloading SP1, and then presumably SP2, to bring the computer up to date - it's working fine and is used for basic online browsing, eBay, Facebook, email and viewing a few photos. Only Windows Media Player 2 was a problem as it wouldn't play some video from a cell phone so we used RealPlayer, without problems.

I don't want to get involved in hours of downloading SP1 and SP2 with any associated problems (aren't there always some?) but I don't want to leave the computer unprotected.

Views please.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If used for online browsing then yes it is worth doing as the service packs contain all the latest security updates for the system.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As above plus MS are removing support for Vista, and Vista SP1 very shortly so you really need SP2

SP1 is require before loading Sp2 save the downloads rather than run and back up to external source just in case.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Vista SP1 was a major change and I noticed an immediate improvement in boot up time and operability. For me it made a sluggish machine into something that was a pleasure to use.

Like this post
keith mac

Likes # 0

They are the points I would make to others but the daunting prospect of downloading and installing both SP1 and then SP2 makes me queasy as it's not my system.... I'd have to be available in case anything goes awry afterwards....

I'll have to think carefully about it. I saw in PCA that support for SP1 was being withdrawn shortly and that's what increased the urgency. I wish there was a simple alternative other than switching to W7 which would be the easiest one I guess.

thanks for your views and advice

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Download and burn to disc the service packs from here then install that way yourself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...