We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unable to print over network windows 7

howard64

Likes # 0

I have a wired network with 2 windows 7 pc's on it. I have added the printer on the no. 2 pc that is connected via the network. Everything is set up for sharing but I never get a print output from no.2 pc. The spooling service is running but I cannot find whatever setting is wrong and stopping the print. No. 1 pc with the printer connected prints perfectly. Both pc's are set up to the Workgroup and I can use the network to alter files on each pc from the other one. When adding the printer to no. 2 pc it can see the printer connected to no. 1 pc but so far nothing I have done has made it work. All suggestions will be tried - thanks in advance.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I had the exact same problem except that my W7 PC couldn't use the network printer attached to my XP PC. The fix was wholly and entirely not intuitive - and I wish I could remember what it is. I vaguely remember something like, instead of telling the W7 PC you want to add a network printer, you tell it you want to add a local printer and then tell it the printer's location as \hostname\printername - something like that. I found it by extensively Googling. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

thank you Ian in Northampton I will try that thanks.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Further Googling threw up this which might be worth trying:

Devices and Printers -> Add Printer -> Add a local printer -> Create a new port: -> Type of port: Local Port -> in the ‘Enter a port name:’ textbox type the exact path to the network based printer you want to connect to, e.g. \hostpc\epsons20

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

have a look at this link

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

otl1: that's not the link I remember, but I'm 99% certain that's the method. Nice work!

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

thanks onthelimit1 although mine is w7 to w7 I will give these instructions a try and see what happens.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

howard64 - good luck - hope it works!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...