We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Checking a router profile set by ISP

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can anyone lead me to a website that explains how and what the router profiles (bandwidth?) that are set by an ISP actually means, or alternatively offer a simple to understand procedure for checking if the router is being set remotely at 'the wrong settings'.

Apologies to the people who have help me in the past with a similar request. Seemed to have lost some of the information. I have tried the Kitz website (which was mentioned previously), but that appears to be undergoing maintenance!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

24 views in 3 hours and no replies. The forum regulars must be sleeping!.

At least that remark as bump the question!. :o)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry do not understand the question.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Let me explain: The router that you use for an internet connection as a 'profile' that is usually set by your ISP. There might be 13 different items on the router 'System Information' summary, which are important for you obtaining a service and connection.

One particular part might go under the title of 'Bandwidth' which your ISP will and can change remotely, so as to improve your connection or alternatively reduce the performance.

Its the information as to what might be a 'good' or 'poor' bandwidth reading, that I am seeking. Saying perhaps ' Bandwidth Down/Up (kbps) 6963/1020 or perhaps 7172/911 or even 5793/759 means very little to me, as a true value. So I am seeking knowledge from someone who could provide some information as to how to translate these figures into something meanful and in layman's terms.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I can only add that a problem occured with Plusnet and my profile. Auto set with the ISP not with the router. Bt broadband availability checker showed my line supported

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps. and my profile auto set to 2000 kbps. So my speed was about 1.8 meg.

Bt BB availability checker also stated,

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3Mbps and 5Mbps.

Emailing Plusnet they sorted out the profile drop (reset it I think but took some time) and is now at 3000 kbps and as the line to the house is ancient I'm ok with the speed.

dslchecker

Don't know if that helps? Also I check my profile with BT's speed tester.

http://speedtester.bt.com/. Not sure it works with all ISPs.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

rdave13

I am using an LLU enabled line, and this prevents the BT speed checker or dslchecker from working, usually with a 'number not found'. Also, if doing a silent line test for example, the BT code will not work on the line. But I was provided with an alternative method, for a line check!.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite