We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Itunes backup. Can I do it online?

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hello again. I am trying to backup my Itunes library but am having no luck writing to DVD's. I thought that maybe an easier option might be to back it up online somewhere. Does anyone know if this is possible? Or do I have to sign up for an annual subscription with something like Carbonite? I'm not keen to do this, as I only have photos and my music on my laptop that I need to save in case of an emergency. I guess I am looking for a cheaper option. Many thanks for all your support!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The cheapest option would buy yourself an external hard-drive then you can back up all you stuff to it. I recently bought one of these,USB HDD which is useful for taking my music etc elsewhere easily.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you gengiscant! I think that this might be the answer. Do you know if it is quite easy to restore Itunes from it if the worse does happen?

In the meantime, I've found Sugarsync. Does anyone know or use this? I already use Dropbox for my photos and have reached my limit as regards storage.

Thank you!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

What I do is reinstall itunes then copy everything from the back up itunes folder to the new one ,job done.

As for Sugarsync, have not heard of it, I notice it gives you 5GB free,not much good if you have lots of audio files, on the last cout I had 26 GB.

It is possible to get extra space from Dropbox free.Go to the website then log on then go to the get started page, so far I have increased my space to 4.5GB.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I regularly back up all my "My Documents" folders - including i tunes which is in My Documents/My Music/iTunes to a second drive using either Freefilesynch or Synchtoy, both free. I also have my e Mails in My documents uder Outlook and that gets backed up as well. Asa an extra precaution I also do a clone and an image on yet another drive using Acronis.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you gengiscant and John!

I will look at that way to get extra space from Dropbox. I didn't know you could do that. Thank you. I'm not sure about reinstalling itunes though. What if it doesn't work? Will I loose everything?

I will have to look into Freefilesynch and synchtoy too. Thank you for suggesting them. I don't use Outlook anymore as I have gmail now.

It is a good idea using Acronis, I know but I only use my laptop for photos and itunes (besides internet access). I have all my photos sycned and uploaded using Picasa (I think), so I was looking for something similar for Itunes.

As always, I do appreciate all the support you give me on this site!!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Once you have copied your itunes folder to a back up device,whether its to an on-line source or an external hard-drive as long as you then keep the two folders synced then you will not lose anything if you have to reinstall itunes.

I have just reinstalled Windows 7 after an upgrade and after installing itunes I copied across the contents of the itunes folder to the new with nothing lost and ipod working perfectly.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you Gengiscant! I will get on and sort it out now.

Thank you all again for your help and support!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more