We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No Local Area Connection

ivesy
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm at the end of my tether with this one...

My parents PC (WIN XP PRO SER PACK 3)suddenly stopped connecting to the internet for no apparent reason.

They rang O2 who sent out another router thinking it was a problem with that.

I set the new router up replacing all the leads and filters with the new ones. But the message 'no local area connection' appeared! when I click on the balloon it says 'the network did not assign a network address'.

I rang O2, they said the router and line were fine and that it must be a problem with the PC. To prove this when I said my smart phone couldn't connect wirelessly to the router they updated the router to show another O2 wireless network. He gave me the password and I was able to connect to it?

I've tried everything I can think of to get the connection back. The last thing I did was to reinstall XP.

I did that then installed the drivers for the motherboard including the Realtec ethernet adaptor but still no connection!

I ran Windows Diagnostic and that shows HTTP error 1207 could not make an HTTP connection.

I can't understand how after months of no problems this can suddenly happen? All the settings the guy at O2 told me to check were correct and there doesn;t seem to be any problems with the ethernet adaptor in device manager.

I would really appreciate any help or advice on this one. Hopefully it's soemthing simple that I'm just missing!

Thank you

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try

Start > Run > CMD

this will open the Command Prompt

type in

netsh winsock reset

press enter

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat

Thanks for the reply but that doesn't work either.

I really don't understand how or why this has happened.

At the moment the PC has just has XP reinstalled with the motherborad utility disk installed and the O2 setup disk. But that only get's as far as checking for modem!

Then the dreaded little or no local connection icon appears.

Device manager doesn't show any conflicys or errors.

Help!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If it is using onboard LAN then try installing a network card in spare PCI slot incase it is the onboard lan that has died.

As you can see they are not expensive Network Cards

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

In device Manager if you are connected to wireless you should have a wireless connection in network Adapters.

If it is not there the driver is not installed.

Or can you click on the connection icon on the Taskbar and press repair.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

buteman

The wireless connection was with smartphone which ivesy has working the problem is with the onboard LAN connection as I read it. I'm sure ivesy will correct me if I am wrong.

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for replies.

The card is showing as working properely but I could try another card.

Yes you are correct strawballs. The smart phone works fine it's the desktop PC connected through the etherent plug that is having the problem.

I appreciate the replies though! any other ideas?

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

So maybe the problem is the onboard LAN? I'm still confused that device manager says it's working fine though.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. try a new cable
    1. uninstall and reinstall the lAn drivers
    2. try another router (not unknown for wireless to work and wired not to.
Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Ivesey: so far as I know, Device Manager has no way of determining whether something is working or not. It only knows a) that the hardware is present, and that b) an appropriate driver is loaded. Take the case of the motherboard I posted about a little while back. I had no sound. Device Manager said sound was fine - but it patently wasn't. In the end, the problem turned out to be missing jumpers on the motherboard. So: Device Manager knew there was sound hardware, and it knew it had a driver - but it didn't/couldn't know it wasn't working.

FWIW, when you get a sudden failure on something that's worked for a long time, and you haven't made any changes to your computer, chances are it's either a) a virus/malware, b) a driver has got corrupt or gone missing but Device Manager hasn't noticed, or c) hardware has died.

I'd certainly try fruitbat's suggestions about the onboard LAN - uninstall it then reinstall it. I'm not sure changing the router will help - that would be weird (but not entirely out of the question). Ditto, cables seldom fail - but if you've got a spare one knocking about, it's got to be worth a try.

But I really think the way forward may well end up being to buy a PCI LAN card and see what that does. For the small investment, it's got to be worth it.

Like this post
ivesy

Likes # 0

Ok, I'll get the card today and fit it on monday and see of that works.

Thanks very much for the advice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...