We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

plusnet modem router

montrachet
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I am going to sign up with Plusnet for my broadband. Mainly because they offer a monthly contract and I will only need the service for three months at a time. (It's a holiday home ) I am a little concerned about using their modem/router in that I cannot speak with their technical people until after I have signed up. Unfortunately the sales person was unable to answer my questions. Does anybody have experience of their modem/routers and can offer advice or point me in the direction of a good one that works well with Plusnet.

I will be having a standard broadband connection-no fibre optic available in my area. The computer is a Mac Book Air.

Thanks in advance.

John.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

just type in what you need to know...

Like this post
montrachet

Likes # 0

ashleycardwell94.

I am sorry I do not understand your response. Is the following OK. That is my question.

Does anybody have experience of their, 'Plusnet', modem/routers and can offer advice or point me in the direction of a good one that works well with Plusnet.

Regards.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

any router should work fine. they might even provide one. They will provide you with a username and password so any router should be compatible.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I`ve recently had a new router from Plusnet which is a Thompson TG585. Plusnet charge about £40 + £5 postage for this router which is ADSL2 enabled and I think you will have to pay up front for this if you take a monthly contract. It is very easy to set up and works straight out of the box as it is pre-configured. Altering the security settings is also very easy providing you know the basics.

You could of course use your own router if you wish.

I would check very carefully with Plusnet about the charges if you intend to use their service for only 3 months of the year. I think that there is a connection charge of £25 which has to be paid up front which is roughly the equivalent of 4 months broadband charges at £6.49. You will probably have to pay this every time you renew the service provision. Presumably you already have a permanent BT line in the holiday home and I suggest you look at taking their basic value package including line rental. (The latter being cheaper than BT for example.)

In the end you`ll probably find it cheaper to take out a 12 month contract. This would entitle you to the free router thus saving you £40. (The router cost is written off over the first 12 months - if you cancel the contract they charge you proportionately) If my maths is right the saving on the router is roughly 6 months broadband.

If you want to fill in any gaps in my assumptions I`ll gladly work it out for you. I refer several of my friends to Plusnet which earns me a reduced monthly broadband bill. Another good reason to consider using them!

Like this post  
montrachet

Likes # 0

ashleycardwell94

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Thanks for your comment I will probably go with that. I was just trying to determine the reliability of their modems as so many modems have bad press in the forums.

Taff™

Thanks very much. I have to say I hadn't looked at the ramifications of taking a contract for three months or putting the cost against one year. I will now do that especially as if I buy their modem it will effectively be free. And then if we return to the house for a short stay during the first year I wont have to shell out for reconnection.

I had taken the £25 reconnection charge into consideration but obviously not thought through the whole thing. I will now do that.

How can I get you to recommend me then you can add that to your reduced charge. But only if it won't cause any repercussions on this forum.

Regards

John

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

also if you take out the 12 month contract there is no £25 connection fee. You can use any modem/router you choose as they are not sniffy about this. Saying that though, if you are not tech minded, £40 is reasonable for a modem which will be pre-configured and work straight from the box

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015