We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Password for Internet Access

chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Hi I am on here again asking what is possibly a silly question. I recently tried to log on to the Internet in a McDonalds and I picked up that there was internet available but then it asked me to input my Password. Was stumped so did not proceed. Later referred to an excellent book about my iTouch and in this under the section connecting to the Internet, it states whilst your connection will not be charged, you may have to input a password. I have since enquired in another NMcDonalds and they said, no you don't get any passwords from us, you should be able to connect without one. Can anyone help please? Thank you

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have an ipod touch and no, it is not necessary to input a password at free wifi hotspots. I can only assume you were trying to log on to another connection other than MacDonald's. In a pub I go to which has free wifi I can see about 5 networks other than the pubs network. So make sure you are connecting with the MacDonald's next time you try.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Unfortunately the link provided by retep888™ is for the States, the Wifi Access in McDonald's UK is provided by "The Cloud".

You first need to register for your free account.

Create a free account

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It the show all network connections, just double click on McDonald's then wollow the prompts to connect, if it asks for a password just press enter key

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It the show all network connections, just double click on McDonald's then follow the prompts to connect, if it asks for a password just press enter key

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

Very grateful for all your answers. Have registered for the Cloud and will follow your tip Woodchip when at a location other than McDonalds and if I am asked for a password, I will press the enter key. I will also save up my pennies so in a few months, will PERHAPS get something like an iPhone where you can connect via 3G or whatever it is called. Second thoughts, will be a good few months. Best Wishes

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I have connected to McDonalds in Wales, but also use my daughters T-Mobil Dongle that as a limit of 1 Gig per month. but she never reaches that and surfs on it at home as she does not have a Land Line. At Home she says its fast as it also uses Orange Network as well

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

I have heard about Dongles but I don't think one would be suitable for me. Whilst I have a super duper iPod Touch [ love The Bee Gees and ELO, not forgetting Barry White ] - my mobile is a very very old Nokia. This wqs the original Buisness Man's phone and when new [ yonks ago ] was very much the top dog of mobile phones. However, I doubt it would have anywhere to insert a Dongle, if that is what you do ? This Nokia was given to me about 6 years ago and although not having bells and whistles, it does the job for making phone calls and sending texts. I don't suppose you can fit a dongle in an iPod Touch either.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

not talking about a Phone the Dongle just plugs into the USB on the Laptop, when setup all software is on the Dongle its called Web'n'Walk

Like this post
chestnutcake

Likes # 0

That's very interesting because I do have a laptop as well and although I do not use it a lot I am pleased to know that I can get a dongle for it. Thanks again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow