We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Graphics Card?

KPC

Likes # 0

I have a desktop computer running Windows 7. I am new to gaming and now i am thinking of replacing my ageing Graphics Card, a Geforce 7900 GS 256 memory. The board i have is a Asus M3A with Athlon X2 4800 CPU and 2 GB of memory. I need to know what Graphics Card will work with this system and have noticed there is a new Gddr memory now. Will this be compatible. Willing to spend up to £100.

Thanks

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Given you say that your graphics card is ageing, could we assume that the PC/main board is also? In which case, your first job is to identify whether your motherboard supports PCI Express, or whether it supports the older AGP only. Then, the physical space available inside your case may be a consideration - some graphics cards are low profile to fit into smaller cases.

Like this post
KPC

Likes # 0

Its PCIe 2

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This is your board I presume Mobo and it has a PCI Express 16 slot as long as you do not expect to play the latest games at full spec, something like thisGPU what size power supply have you and you will need a single six-pin power connector for the card.

Like this post
KPC

Likes # 0

there is a six pin con and the power supply is 550 watt

Like this post
KPC

Likes # 0

and that is the mobo

Like this post
KPC

Likes # 0

there is also plenty of space inside the case. the graphics card i have at this time is like a dining table

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Then you are good to go with my suggestion.

Like this post
KPC

Likes # 0

cheers and thanks to everybody.

Like this post
keef66

Likes # 0

Or for a bit less cash try an HD 5670 which doesn't require an additional power connector

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...