We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Compaq CQ60 sound problem

allang

Likes # 0

My son has an HP Compaq Presario CQ60 laptop. He recently had a hard disk head crash. After repair and re-installation of WinXp/Vista home (can´t remember which, senile dementia!),he is experiencing problems with audio o/p. Audio is "tinny" and distorted. I´ve been googling for hours and I think the following is correct.

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 9200 GS

"The HP Compaq Presario CQ60 has a dedicated integrated graphics card. It has been endowed with a 256 MB Nvidia GeForce 9200M GS video processor.

NVIDIA® GeForce® 9200M GS GPUs take mainstream systems to a new level of performance. With best-in-class HD video and audio combined."

Here is my/his problem.

HDMI connected .... tv video ok,audio distorted. Playing cd on laptop .... audio distorted. Things like youtube vids .... distorted.

HDMI connected .... video via tv,audio via laptop .... audio ok (so my son sez). Does this config use laptop soundcard rather than graphics card,or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Not sure whether win up to date after re-install but all drivers say there are no newer versions.

Are there any diag he can run on graphics card. I´ve tried "dxdiag" from run command and shows no probs. Tried different HDMI cable,still the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

HAs he download and install the correct Audio drivers for the machine?

Drivers

Like this post
allang

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

Thanx.Is it better to use manufacturers updates rather than wot Microsft sez ´cos Nvidia sez "However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver."

By the way do you think it is soundcard or graphicscard related or are they the same beast in this model?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sound card - sound will have nothing to do with graphics chip.

Like this post
allang

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

Nvidia sez graphics card combines video & audio for HDMI o/p. (see original posting).

He can configure laptop to HDMI video and audio thro´ laptop speakers and sound ok.

My brain hurts !!

How to find soundcard details if necessary ?

Thanx

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

SIW here download the free version, it will tell you everything that is fitted in your machine.

Like this post
allang

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

Cheers again. Will download and pass it on. I´ll have junior check for manufacturer driver updates to see if that cures the prob. May take some time as I live in Spain and my son is in the UK.

I´ll let you know how we get on, unless anyone else comes up with other suggestions.

Whatever happened to the ZX 81/Spectrum !! Never had this bother.

Like this post
allang

Likes # 0

One more thing : if I opt for manufacturer driver update, rather than MS updates, is it better to create a restore point or will driver rollback suffice?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

driver rollback suffice

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......