We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant get my system to recognize sata drives

sputnick

Likes # 0

I have just built a new system using a Gigabyte mobo, I sata hard drive and one sata dvd drive. In the bios I cant find the hard drive or the dvd drive. I fitted an IDE dvd drive to load W7 64 bit O/S. It now starts to load windows but gets stuck asking where to install it I have put the drivers sata drivers and chipset drivers on a USB stick but it still refuses to find the sata drives, I don`t need to set up a raid array. I never had this trouble with my asus mobo.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you loaded all the Motherboard Drivers?

Like this post
sputnick

Likes # 0

Can I install the mobo drivers before I install W7

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It should ask you for the Drivers when you start to load windows, I think you have to press a Key may be F6 then you would need to change the windows disc to the Motherboard CD then put the windows disc back in after drivers are loaded

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS when Loading you need to watch for everything that comes up on screen plus it should tell you in the Motherboard Manual on how to load the Drivers

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

"In the bios I cant find the hard drive or the dvd drive."

That is why 7 will not load. Read the manual to setup your SATA controllers. You may have to go back and find which SATA connection you have used on the motherboard and select those connections as boot drives.

If that makes sense to you. If not we will go through the manual with you.

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

sputnick

We would need to know which Gigabyte mobo it is.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes it means that you have to set the BIOS boot order and tell it which drive to boot from, but that should only apply if you have more than one Hard drive. BIOS when loading a New OS should be set to boot first from DVD then Hard Drive set as second device. When you put the Windows CD in and boot from it does it not ask for the drivers after its had a look at your system? If not only way I can think is you would need to use a External USB Stick that you have copied the Sata drivers to. But before you can do that you have to have at least one Partition that is Formatted and got a letter to copy the files from the USB stick to C:\ That's why Windows should do it all. It comes up time and time again this problem with Sata drivers, when loading a new OS.

It seems like a merry go round, As I said watch the screen when its booting from the Windows CD, and read the Manual on Setting up Sata Drives

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

they may be 6,8 or 10 SATA headers on the motherboard. The correct sequence of headers might want switching on in the bios to see the drives

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

First sata drive where you want to put op system should be connected to the sata0 header as BIOS cycles through the drives looking for the op system to boot from.

Set BIOS to ACHI or Raid for it to see SATA drives see here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room