We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Continuous beeps

Hetti
Resolved

Likes # 0

After checking memory was seated properly and motherboard and DVD/CD drives were secure (as Ive been having intermittent boot up problems) I treid to start PC again and its giving a intermittent beep and both drives DVD and CD are showing green lights. The PC does not boot and the beep continues.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks all

I just came back here to ask a further question and see there have been three further posts (didn't get get email notification). What i was going to ask is how do I find out what PSU I need for my particular PC, then is it easy to fit for someone who has limedted PC knowledge but would like to have a go at it?

Lotvic I will look at the motherboard light ASAP

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above, I would try another PSU not just chuck it in the Bin

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
  2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp. 3 The correct connections for your equipment

3. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.

Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.

MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.

Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters http://www.directron.com/psu.html

1. Power supply calculator http://www.antec.outervision.com/

2. Correct connections Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Lots of wires but its not really that hard as you can't really plug the wrong cables into the wrong sockets.

Guide to changing PSU here and here link text

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks all How do I find out what PSU I need for my PC, is it an easy thing to do for a novice? I would like to try to do it myself but I'm no expert.

lotvic I don't know if the is a light inside on m/board will check ASAP

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Most PSUs are pretty standard however some makers use a non standard size (measure it)

A cheap one 400w can cost as little as £16 and be good enough, better quality and quieter costs more.

Make and model of PC? Is this the machine you were passing on or have I got my wires crossed? :0)

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

I hope this is not a double/triple post ( I thought I'd posted back but am unable to see my reply) Anyway how do I find out which PSU is the right one for my PC, and is it an easy job to replace it?

Like this post  
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you take the Left Side of the PC you will see the PSU its the box at top back with all the wires coming from it, All the plugs are shaped to fit sockets. As long as you get one that fits and as enough plugs for all the Hardware in your PC then only other thing to check is the Size in Watts and same Volts, Watts should be as big or Bigger

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS to replace, most are held in by 4 screws round the Fan at the back. You can change each plug without removing the old PSU have the box in the bottom if you have enough room the change it after you have changed all the plugs

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Hi all

Just been and got the PSU it is a ATX 650 watt (I had 300 watt before) although he did not actually measure the PSU the chap in the shop assured me it will fit as I'm replacing ATX with ATX and they are standard ( as fruit bat/0\/0\ pointed out)thanks for the link also.Yes It is the PC Im passing on to my brother (If I manage to fix it)as his is so slow it is unbelievable. Also I'm looking forward to giving it a go, I may have to post back if I get stuck!!! I'm not going to start until tomorrow, but have the side off the PC and I tried to remove the large twenty pin connector from the motherboard but it will not move, I see there is a little lever thing on the side and I thought I would need to press on that to release it but I cannot do it, I'm afraid to do it with more force in-case I break it. Any ideas please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Squeeze in the "little lever thing" and jiggle the connector block (length ways) to help release it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July