We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless N only getting 54mbps

choccy31

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I got a new Dell desktop - XPS7100 in April with Wireless N Wlan card and everything was running fine speed wise however for last two weeks I am suddenly only being able to get 54mbps on my wi-fi connection.

I have installed drivers to latest etc but still cannot get back to the speeds I should be getting on my 50Meg BB.

Nothing has changed with the router or anything so am at a loss as to why this has suddenly happened.

Help please!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

You can get that behaviour when a wireless G (54mbps) client connects to an N router. When that happens most routers fall back to the the speed of the slowest client.

Does that explain what's happened to you? If you're not aware of any other wireless devices then check the relevant section in your router that shows currently connected wireless clients. Not all routers display that info though.

Like this post
choccy31

Likes # 0

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Only thing I know that might be new connection is my brother got an ipad2?!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

The iPad2 is wireless-N compatible so I don't think it's that.

Where are you getting the 54mbps connection speed info from and what speed did it used to report?

Like this post
choccy31

Likes # 0

Hi,

The network connection status says wireless n signal strength good or excellant etc and then on status says 54mbps as the speed.

Used to be around 300 odd when I was using April - Mid May.

No idea why suddenly the change. :-(

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that info.

Providing that you're sure all users of the wireless network are using N adapters then here are some things to try with your router:

1) The simplest and quickest potential fix is to turn the router off for a minute then turn it back on.

2) The reduction in performance could be due to some nearby interference and changing the wireless channel number usually helps in those situations.

Log into your router and go to its wireless section. Select a channel number that's as far away as possible to its current one. If it's set to "Auto" then pick a channel number at random, and if no improvement is seen, change it to another.

3) By default, most routers are configured in "mixed mode" where they're able to communicate with wireless B, G , and N clients. If its just you and your brother using the router wirelessly then try this:

Back in your router's wireless section, see if you can set it to "N-only" mode. That'll force it to always use up to 300mbps N speeds but devices with older, B & G, adapters won't be able to connect.

If none of that helps then reply with what the router's Wireless security is currently set to - some examples are "WPA2 AES", "WPA2 TKIP", "WPA" or "WEP", etc.

Like this post
choccy31

Likes # 0

Hi

Tonight went into router and changed the security settings and updated the firmware and seems to have made a difference now.

Currently I'm now showing 130.Mbps on mine and my brothers ipad 2 was zooming on the net earlier as is my mobile which can be closer to the router signal then my desktop.

I do have a wireless N USB which i could use in future to get closer to signal but think will be ok for now.

Thanks for all your help :-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia