We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC problems. Please help! I'm panicking here!

JaySteel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi there. I've just finished working on wedding photos for a wedding I did a couple of weeks ago. As usual I have been regularly backing them up to my PC and two external hard drives. As I attempted to back up the final versions I opened the folder on my PC only to find that it has re-named all the images and mixed them all up. It has also mixed up the thumbnails so many of them no longer correspond to the relevant image. I checked the 1st external hard-drive and the images also have corrupted thumbnails but they haven't been re-named or mixed up. I tried the 2nd external hard-drive but the usb port has just snapped of and will need re-soldering in order to make it work. I'm having an absolute nightmare! I'm now burning copies of the images from the 1st external hard-drive onto disc so at least I won't lose the images completely.

Can anyone please give any suggestions on how to recover the files on my PC? I'm scared to open any other folders containing images on my PC in case they've all been corrupted.

Best regards, Jason

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What, if any, software have you download, or activated, recently?

What Anti-Virus and Anti Malware Software are you currently using and is it regularly updated and run?

Like this post
JaySteel

Likes # 0

I use AVG software and it regularly updates itself. I have recently run 'TuneUp Utilities' program on my PC. It took a couple of hours to scan the whole PC and then a further 5 hours next time I started the PC. I don't know if I was experiencing any of these problems before I ran this program or not. My PC has started freezing a lot lately which is why I ran this program.

I have just clicked on one of the corrupted folders on my PC and changed the settings to show hidden files. I had planned on deleting the 'thumbs' but now the entire folder with the images in has disappeared!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Try Recuva here

Like this post
JaySteel

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Seeing as one of my folders on the PC is now showing all the files in their uncorrupted state with correct names and thumbnails, I have been able to burn this off to disc thankfully. So I haven't lost any of my images from this latest wedding which is a huge relief. I now need to copy all my work from my PC onto my wife's external hard-drive but I'm worried that these will become corrupted when I do. I'm now stuck as to why this has happened and what I can do to stop it happening again? I want to do further work on the latest wedding images but again I'm worried that when I save them they will become corrupted.

Best regards, Jason

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

May I suggest adding Malwarebytes to your armoury.

Like this post  
JaySteel

Likes # 0

Thanks for that recommendation. I've downloaded this program and I'm currently running a quick scan. I'll come back with the results.

Best regards, Jason

Like this post
JaySteel

Likes # 0

Following people's instructions I have now run a couple of programs:

Malware bytes CCleaner + registry BitDefender QuickScan

This seems to have sped up my internet considerably. The PC speed seems to be improved a lot and it's not freezing up any more so I'm hoping that means the problems are all fixed and I won't suffer any more corruption to files or whatever the initial problem was. Thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Best regards, Jason

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad