We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop "Plugged In, Not charging"

Guady
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just noticed that my laptop (packard bell - 6 months old, using Windows 7 Home Premium) is giving me this message. The orange / blue light which normally comes on when the power lead is plugged in is not lit. I've had a look via Google and there seem to be any number of solutions, but would prefer to have a solution suggested my members of this forum as they have proved so helpful in the past. So - Can someone please tell me what steps I should take. Thanks very much.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It's either the plug or the socket (most likely). 6 mths old? Take it back under warranty.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are sure that the power supply to the laptop is correct, then get in touch with the outlet that your purchased the laptop from, because after 6 months, making a claim might become more difficult.

I would mention that the retailer is responsible for any claims and not the manufacturer, unless your bought direct. The retailer (under consumer law) cannot insist that you have to deal with the manufacturer direct. If they want you to go direct, then get a written statement from the retailer, that is what they have suggested. It will all help, if later problems occur.

The above information is assuming that your bought the item as an individual and not as a business requisition?.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

This is something I came across a few months ago and saved "just in case":

I recently had the popular problem of Windows 7 battery manager malfunctioning and not charging my
battery when plugged in. The battery was fine, the power supply was fine, and the motherboard was fine
(I have enough laptops with the same specs in the Headspring office, and I was able to swap out parts
to isolate the problem). I also searched for this problem online, and many folks are having this problem with all makes of
laptop computers. I found the steps that solved my problem here on the TechNet forums. There are multiple solutions proposed, and here are the steps that fixed it for me: 1. Disconnect AC 2. Shutdown 3. Remove battery 4. Connect AC 5. Startup 6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1). 7. Shutdown 8. Disconnect AC 9. Insert battery 10. Connect AC 11. Startup

Laptop Battery not showing Charging 1. Turn off the computer, 2. Take the battery out 3. Take out the power supply 4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds. 5. Reconnect power supply 6. Then the battery. Should now show 100% charged. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it
and the reason it showed not charging was because it was fully charged.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Bookmarked for future reference - thanks Mike.

Like this post
Guady

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions. I removed the battery and re-fitted, which seems to have done the trick. I always like to try the easiest solution first! Many thanks

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK