We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC wont boot with GFX card installed

Possumwee

Likes # 0

Hello all,

I have a problem with my desktop PC, it started by taking 1 or 2 attempts at turning it on to get a bios beep and the PC to boot. Once booted however the PC was fine and stable.

But the other day it just wouldnt boot, I got no bios beeps and no video output. I dismantled it and put it back together and now I have found that the pc will boot with no GFX card installed but wont with one. I have tried 2 different GFX cards and get the same problem.

Does anyone know what this could be? Could it be the PSU?

Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot!

Like this post
Possumwee

Likes # 0

Oh just to add this PC was running and working fine for a good 3 years before this happened. Its not a new build.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

no bios beeps and no video output

which video output are you connected to?

Once you fit the card connect the monitor to the new card boot to BIOS disable onboard graphics - save and exit

If you cannot get to BIOS connected to the new card, connect to onboard graphics - boot to BIOS, disable on board graphics, save and exit connect monitoe to new card.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above how do you know its booting if you cannot see anything on screen, and you would get several BIOS beeps if there was a graphics problem

Like this post
Possumwee

Likes # 0

I have a BFG 680i mobo, it has an LED display and an onboard speaker so you can tell when its booting. With a GFX card installed, there are no beeps and the LED display is just --.

It wont boot with any GFX card connected (I have tried 2) and I dont believe it has onboard GFX. At least there is no monitor connection I can see.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have found that the pc will boot with no GFX card installed I dont believe it has onboard GFX. At least there is no monitor connection I can see.

How?

it would be beeping without a graphics card and you can't see anything without a monitor connected??

Like this post
Possumwee

Likes # 0

Not sure how to quote on here,

But the LED display shows the booting progress, and I get a bios beep with no gfx card installed. With no monitor I obviously cant tell if its booting properly but I get no beep codes and no error codes on the LED. Which means it should be booting properly.

But with a gfx card installed I get no beep and no LED progression display.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

How can the display tell you its booting when it nothing to connect to on the PC

Like this post
Possumwee

Likes # 0

Its not the monitor, as I said the mobo has an LED display on it which tells you when it boots successfully (it loads to 100%). I also get no error beep codes when no gfx card is installed which would indicate an unsuccessful boot.

With a gfx card installed the LED display shows nothing and I get no initial beep.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Either faulty cards or faulty PCI slot.

Like this post
Possumwee

Likes # 0

You think its the PCI slot?

Ive used 2 graphics cards, both of which worked in other PC's so that makes sense. I guess I need a new motherboard.

Thanks for the help!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...