We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Paragon system backup problem

rincewind66

Likes # 0

I installed Paragon system backup 2010 on my windows vista pc.

I backed my pc onto an external hard drive. This morning the pc wouldn't boot up. I couldn't even get it into safe mode. I tried system repair and that told me there was no problem with the pc, but it was something connected to it. When I removed the external hard drive ( which has been connected to it for a long time) it started up with no problem. Is it best to remove the backed up files and try another program to do the job or is there another solution?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It sounds as though, after performing the backup, the PC has tried unsuccessfully to boot from the external drive. You could try going into the BIOS and checking that the PC's hard drive is set before USB peripherals in the list of Boot Devices.

The backup may have made the USB drive appear to be bootable, which it isn't, and therefore the PC won't boot if it takes precedence over the hard drive.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I have used Paragon in the past and use Acronis TI at the moment. I backup to a dedicated Backup folder on my permanantly connected USB HD no problem. I have other files in dedicated folders on the drive. I have my boot sequence set to D:\, C:\ permanantly. You may have as mgmcc says ypur PC set to boot from a USB drive. If I leave my Acronis Rescue Media disc in my drive the PC boots from the disk into the backup software. I suggest you remove the backup and make a new backup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks