We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

most likely cause for hotmail sending out spam to all my contacts?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Ive noticed that once a month, feb, april, and may, my hotmail email has been sending out spam to all my contacts. It even appears in the hotmail sent folder. I rarely use my hotmail email address, and have never had a similar issue before with my other email addresses (that I know of-eg Ive never sent spam to my contacts which has also appeared in the 'sent' folder on yahoo etc). I have changed my hotmail password as a result, and scanned this machine fully/kept it updated with adaware, avira, malwarebytes, spywareblaster. Is it likely to be an infection on the pc, or the result of some automated system working out my password and using my hotmail on its own to send out its own spam? Im not 100% on how it works exactly

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

theDarkness

For some reason if you don't select a strong password for hotmail then it's a target for spammers as it is Microsoft I think. Create a password with letters, upper and lower case, digits and symbols that are accepted. Example: Mhall,ll,ll,Mhall,wfwwas.

Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb, Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow.

Easy to remember but make it a personal poem.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

They seem to just be sending out advertising to my contacts, surely for these crackers obtaining emails with saved passwords (eg bank details) would be the main target.. but then perhaps that happens too. Thats not to say that I actually save these details, but many I know do! I think Ill just have to stop using hotmail altogether if its the main target. Ill have to think up far better passwords for my other non hotmail accounts, but then symbols are not always accepted, which can make it awkward to create a difficult password to crack, but then it would also make it difficult for many to remember ;( my memory is not the best! :) thanks

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Webmail and POP contacts list.

I think it was woodchip who suggested a workaround for this sort of problem, just add a ! or similar to the beginning of each of your contacts email addresses and then when you want to send mail to them edit the address to remove the !

Then your contacts won't get any spam supposedly from you. You will know if your account has been compromised as all the emails will be 'undeliverable' and sent back to you as such.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

lotvic Yes it was me,

they may have got hold of your Address book

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad