We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics card for Acer laptop

Robkmac

Likes # 0

Hi, I have just bought an Acer Aspire 5742, the spec is as follows: Intel Core i3-380M, 4GB DDR3 memory and an Intel HD graphics card.

Could you recommend a decent graphics card that would fit this laptop and work well with Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator CS4?

At the moment it's a bit clunky, I need CS4 to work faster. My budget is about £100.

Many thanks

Rob

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I think you will find you are stuck with what you got, 99.9% of Laptops have Graphics that's not upgradable. Only thing you will be able to Upgrade is Ram and Hard Drive to a Faster Bigger Drive

Like this post
Robkmac

Likes # 0

What about an external USB graphics adapter?

Like this post
Robkmac

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice guys. Would increasing the RAM from 4 to 8GB increase the graphics performance significantly?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

SEe you you can exchange it with an Acer with a dedicated graphics card signified by a G at the end of the model no. EG, I have an acer 5920g with dedicated nVidia 9300gsm card.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

SEe you you can exchange it with an Acer with a dedicated graphics card signified by a G at the end of the model no. EG, I have an acer 5920g with dedicated nVidia 9300gsm card.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

...and an Intel HD graphics card...

Sorry to disappoint you Rob but the "Intel HD graphics" is actually being delivered by your i3 processor - you don't have a separate card. As previously stated, it's highly unlikely you'll be able to upgrade the graphics. Even if it were possible, Photoshop and Illustrator are applications that mainly utilise CPU and RAM for performance not the graphics chip.

Would increasing the RAM from 4 to 8GB increase the graphics performance significantly?

Possibly - although 4GB is usually more than enough for most users. If you're working with ultra-high resolution images in Photoshop then a RAM upgrade may help. You can test for this yourself by opening up all the applications you'd normally have open at the same time then checking how much physical memory is free by going to Task Manager -> "Performance" tab and checking the "Memory" bar graph on the left-hand side. If there's 1GB or less of available memory then it's likely you'll benefit from an upgrade.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Best way to upgrade is to fit a Big and faster hard drive, the faster the better

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Woodchip: what's your thinking? Why do you think that would help?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I have done it,I have proof that it works, so I know it works. It works better than adding Ram. Only way you get any benefit from extra Ram is if you do lots of intensive tasks like Video editing and in that a Faster drive will be just as much good

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'