We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

URGENT - Infected with XP Total Security 2011

JordanDoyle

Likes # 0

Hello, I have recently (about 3 days ago) been infected by XP Total Security 2011. My antivirus has only just picked it up today and I have only just got back onto Firefox, BUT it has been messing with my registry so the only way I could get onto firefox was by Run-As, I got into registry editor by doing run-as, other wise it'll show what would you like to open with? with every .exe file, I went to HKEYLOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/Clients/StartMenuInternet/FIREFOX.EXE/shell/open/command and I found out it had changed my firefox registy setting to: '"%UserProfile%/Local Settings/Application Data/khg.exe" /START "C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/firefox.exe"' I changed that back to C:/Program Files/Mozilla/Firefox/firefox.exe then my antivirus (PC Tools Antivirus free) told me to restart to remove khg.exe, so I did.

Now I opened the registry to find out what was happening with this What would you like to open with? dialog, and found this under: HKEYCURRENTUSER/Software/Classes/exe/shell/open/command

(default) = "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\khg.exe" -a "%1" %*"

So, I tried to change it to "%1" %* to stop the errors but it wont let me change it the error message I get is: Cannot Edit : Error writing the value's new contents.

Notes

- Before my antivirus removed anything I couldn't access anything, an error something along the lines of, 'Cannot access (filename).exe, wrong permisions'. - The random name that XP Total Security chose was khg.exe which is now removed, according to PC Tools Antivirus 2011, which updated around 1 hour ago.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

First thing I'd try is to boot to safe mode and try a system restore. If successfull follow this guide from Bleeping Computers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow