We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Just something to think on

woodchip
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have never had a Virus to interfere or nothing else come to that matter with any of my PC's two Desktops two Laptops and a Netbook. one of the above Desktops Dual boot with XP Home. All others are XP home. this is in about 16 years. but been down to my sons today, no sooner do I start surfing the net on is Desktop running Win7 with Free Avast AV when a Windows pops up Avast as just stopped a Trojan.

IS it me my PC's and or Software I use? I think its a Combination of type of browser and operating System that they Target. I ten to use things that other do not. Like I used to use Netscape Browser, Now on Flock but that's been Discontinued and Coral Office Not MS Office i tend to steer Clear of MS as much as I can

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Dual Boots 98se with XP home

Like this post

Likes # 0

In many years I've only had a couple of instances of a virus or trojan trying to invade. Usually turned out to be something via e-mail

However, can I gently suggest it's not the PC or software and o/s you and me use, more the places we visit (or not) on the web

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I would add Limewire and similar programs and that so many people do not keep their virus definitions up to date.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

No all I was doing was looking at Web Pages in Google about RoadEye Black Box Cameras

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Just for info, when I am going to reinstall a clients OS when all attempts to revive the machine have failed, I run an online scan of the hard drive before extracting the documents etc to my machine. The Trend Micro programme I use usually finds betwenn 0 and 500 infections. The PC this weekend took 3.5 hrs to scan and another 2 hrs to clear 3251 infections. Is this a record?!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm the same but use IE9. Most times I get warnings is when I surf Google. Last week was the worst I came accross. McAfee site advisor and WOT showed a particular site ok on a Google list. Can't remember which now, but once I clicked on it even Windows 7 firewall poped up to say it had blocked a program, Avast went brown and SuperAntiSpyware got angry. Needless to say I got out of it quickly. Sometimes it's just bad luck even if you are practicing safe browsing I think.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Think I will Get me Head down and stop in't PCA Cupboard. They may not find me

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

3251 infections.

Nowhere near a record - had 3 times more when cleaning teenager's machines - with girls its mostly chat rooms, with boys .... ;0)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

At the local PCW, the Tech Guys there use to have a list on the counter, stating how many machines they had cleared 'infections' from, and how many. I often wondered if they over exaggerated the high quantities as a sales gimmick for their then Health Check service?.

I cannot recall the last time my main computer had any 'infection' problems.

Cross fingers!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features