We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dial-up Connection Problem

toogie
Resolved

Likes # 0

Recently bought second hand Acer Aspire PC with Vista OS for my 90 year old father whose old PC had finally expired! Before trying to set him up for the Internet I connected to my Broadband ISP with no problems. However, when I try to set him up on his Dial-up connection I get the error message that "connection not available as problem with modem or network connector" ? He has no external modem and did not have one with his previous PC. I therefore assumed that a modem would already be within the newer PC ready for connection. One more point. I did not realise until I left him yesterday that he has an extension telephone plugged in. Although this has always been the case when he was accessing the internet on his old PC could it be a problem when trying to set up the Dial-up connection ? Grateful for any advice as he is keen to get back to using the internet. Thanks

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You say he has no external modem, in which case he is not on a Dial-up connection. So he should be connecting either direct through his own, or your, Router, either by Ethernet Cable or by Wireless.

In his Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections and make sure that Never dial a connection is checked.

All telephones in the house should each have a ADSL Filter attached.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - Sorry, I should have asked if his 'new' PC has an internal Modem - cos it sounds as if the answer is No!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Also What about a ISP provider, I think he still needs a Dial-Up Provider. I think there are some that are free to connect but pay as you go use

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

I have new W7 Tosh laptop, and use Dial Up. I had buy a separate external modem and set up dial up connection path via the control panel. I use Tiscali 50. 50 hours/month for £10. David

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Nontek, having thought about it I think his PC probably has an internal modem as there is a socket on the back of his PC for the phoneline Is this a RJ45 ? How do I confirm that it does have an internal modum ? Also does he need an ADSL filter if he just unplugs the telephone jackplug when plugging in his PC Internet connection ? Woodchip, he has an ISP, pay as you go (Tiscali.co.uk) It is the account details of his provider that I have used in trying to set up his connection.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

He does not need a filter on dial up.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

To check for modem, right-click on My Computer, then Properties>Hardware>Device Manager, look under Modems.

As br5emner says, filter not needed if only on Dial-up, I was thinking re ADSL Router.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Look in Device Manager to see if a 56K modem is listed.

Windows Vista, go to Start, Control Panel and click on the System and Maintenance link. Next, click on the System link and then on the left hand side under the Tasks pane, click on Device Manager

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You do not need filters if you are coming off the 'BT' master socket with an extension lead. I also run a 50 foot extension lead direct to the computer with no drop in power, from a master socket.

When the contract with Tiscali commenced, did they supply a SpeedTouch or Sagem modem with filters?.

The other point that I cannot understand is why people are still using a dial-up service, when it may well be far cheaper for one of the recent package deals. TalkTalk (Tiscali) have been offering deals of £3.99 plus line rental, which would be far better and cheaper per month.

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Spuds I entirely agree and in fact have now convinced my Dad (90 years old) and he is going to go over to Broadband very soon.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers